Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 27

AlpineZone

Page 27 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    There is a fair amount of parking down at the nordic center, but who wants to take a bus up to the resort.
    If I'm with my family, I'd much rather park in a lower lot and get a bus up that drops me right at Spruce, rather than have to haul all my crap over the silly transfer gondola.

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    I agree with your sentiments on VT's government budget situation. The government is very lucky that so many people like to visit and spend money in their state. It would be in their best interest to be pro-development.
    LOL. Good luck with that! Vermont is going to hell-in-a-handbasket quicker than perhaps any state in the union. It's almost as if the politicians want to kill the Golden Goose, and actively invent new ways to do so. Worse? They're being further encouraged to do so by voters rather than backing away from this eventual and reliably predictable financial destruction. The future will not be kind to State of Vermont.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post

What's interesting here is Vail wanted the East Coast with a major resort...that we know. They got the hill, not the "resort" aspect though. So do they treat it as a feeder hill? Or as a resort (where they don't own the lodging)?
    It's a total win-win for Vail. They get the ski operations and can cobble their pass together with Stowe as a big, fat, eastern carrot, with which to get eastern people to ski their myriad western resorts. As has been noted prior, they can always try to purchase the other toys at a later date. I think those who think this doesn't make sense are not aware of US population dynamics and how such a large portion of the US population lives from NY, PA, NJ, up through New England. The "mountains of population" are in the corner of the map (below) where Stowe draws from.

Vail to buy Stowe?

There's no need to construct a lift over Sterling pond - it would get pretty close though.

I agree with your sentiments on VT's government budget situation. The government is very lucky that so many people like to visit and spend money in their state. It would be in their best interest to be pro-development. I suspect they'll try to squeeze as much out of Vail and its customers as they can before ultimately letting them do most of what they would want. It will be interesting to follow.
    Not to get any more political, but you're thinking too logically for Vermont.

Signed,

Vermont Refugee

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Feb 22, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

There's no need to construct a lift over Sterling pond - it would get pretty close though.

I agree with your sentiments on VT's government budget situation. The government is very lucky that so many people like to visit and spend money in their state. It would be in their best interest to be pro-development. I suspect they'll try to squeeze as much out of Vail and its customers as they can before ultimately letting them do most of what they would want. It will be interesting to follow.
    You do realize that your lift plan here goes directly over the Long Trail? I think there might be a slight opposition to this type of plan

Quote Originally Posted by farlep99 View Post
    You do realize that your lift plan here goes directly over the Long Trail? I think there might be a slight opposition to this type of plan
    Well aware. Id expect a huge amount of anger over that, too

Re: VT politics I agree with BG and Boss. I was trying to tread lightly, because theres nothing worse than debating politics on a ski forum. Lets just say I used conditional language for a reason.

Id see Vail coming in as a budgetary blessing, but I dont expect Montpelier to see it that way granted, Im from the Granite State, so that is not my area of expertise. Vail potentially making a huge investment in Stowe parallels the Balsams development in a way. Id probably pony up the bonds for Les Otten if I were running the state of NH - not because I think hes a genius and is going to save the Great North Woods, but because theres a high probability that nobody will seriously consider investing 9 figures in the area, all at once, ever again.

The money will talk, I have no idea whether the state of VT will listen.
    Ski season is always too short

I'll throw my $0.02 in here - I've been a regular Killington skier - wouldn't call it my home mountain but in the past 7 years I've skied at Killington 36% of my days - Usually I buy some K tickets and this year I got a Max Pass + K tickets. I've only been to Stowe one time in my life.

I love Killington but if the Epic Pass includes Stowe and is less the $1k I'm buying that - it's the exact same time to drive from my house to K1 as it is to Stowe. Sorry Beast.

Part of the rumor swirling this winter that Vail would also buy Smuggler's Notch Resort, the ski area just over the mountain from Stowe, in Jeffersonville was pure fiction.

"I can officially squash that rumor right now," Mike Chait, public relations director at Smugglers' Notch, said last month as the rumor gained traction.

The owner of Smuggler's, Bill Stritzler, authorized Chait to dispel the rumor.

"He said anything you hear about Smugglers' in negotiation with Vail can be considered sincerely fake news, Chait explained.

Quote Originally Posted by farlep99 View Post
    Though there shouldn't be, it's a 300 mile trail and we'd literally be talking about perhaps a 100 yard section for heaven's sake, but of course, you're correct. These people will file lawsuits if you intend to cut a single tree. They are not the conscientious and respectful stewards of the environment that they purport to be, they are bullies and self-righteous "religious" ideologues with a cult-like mentality, who ironically & unwittingly often do more harm than good to the environmental causes they support.

In this case, however, their silly, self-righteous, histrionics will lead to the outcome that I support (i.e. no Stowe/Smuggs merger), so.... go them.

I’d see Vail coming in as a budgetary blessing, but I don’t expect Montpelier to see it that way
    I have a theory that this is perhaps why Vail bought the ski operations for $50M, and not the entire operation. I'm not at all confident in this theory, but I think there's at least a 10% chance it has some merit.

It would be cagey on Vail's part if they thought perhaps the government would put up roadblocks to their in toto purchase since the folks running State of Vermont have a, "big company = bad people" mentality. I wonder if Vail thought this was the safest way to get this transaction through. Then, a few years from now, once people are happy with Vail (or more succinctly, not angry with them), they come back for the bigger bite of the apple and buy the entire thing. Because, IMO, that's going to happen. There has to be a very good reason why the purchase was not in its' entirety. Either AIG thought Vail was undervaluing it, but still wanted out of ski ops, or Vail thought they couldnt get the deal done in its' entirely due to the political reasons I mentioned, or some other reason....... but as many have mentioned, this deal is atypical for them.

Quote Originally Posted by KD7000 View Post
    If I'm with my family, I'd much rather park in a lower lot and get a bus up that drops me right at Spruce, rather than have to haul all my crap over the silly transfer gondola.
    Right On !

Keep in mind that Gomez' graphic is not representative of skier population density .. Nationally estimated at 10% of Total US.
    In many regions outside of the NE, despite the smaller density, the skier percentage is much higher.

Curious, whether MTN will expand mountain bike activity on Mansfield. That's where the real growth and density lies.

Thread Information