Aspen / KSL acquired Mammoth Resorts - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Upgrading the Snowbowl quad to a high speed chair at Stratton would help a lot with crowd dispersion. Moving the Shooting Star lift to the old Kidderbrook line would help too. That lift wasn't very well thought out. You can only lap like three trails off of it. There are some great glades on that side of the hill. It just sucks you have to do the long run out back to the base of the Sun Bowl when you ski them.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Lets also add in getting a gondola, that can run at a decent speed, in more than about a 3.2mph wind, on the list of lift needs for Stratton....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I think they have enough to invest in with their current Eastern areas. Tremblant is way too crowded weekends (they need lift investment heavily) and Stratton probably needs some inventive redesign. I don't really see them focusing on the east, some western targets are more likely.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Upgrading the Snowbowl quad to a high speed chair at Stratton would help a lot with crowd dispersion. Moving the Shooting Star lift to the old Kidderbrook line would help too. That lift wasn't very well thought out. You can only lap like three trails off of it. There are some great glades on that side of the hill. It just sucks you have to do the long run out back to the base of the Sun Bowl when you ski them.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Lets also add in getting a gondola, that can run at a decent speed, in more than about a 3.2mph wind, on the list of lift needs for Stratton....
    I will be curious to see where they invest first. My guest with places like Mammoth, and Winter Park, and Steamboat would be likely targets with them being in the top 20 resorts with the most skier visits.

The operator, Aspen Skiing Co., really only wanted Winter Park, Steamboat and Intrawest’s Canadian Mountain Holidays helicopter skiing operation. But Intrawest wanted to sell the entire company — six resorts in Canada, Colorado, Vermont and West Virginia, 1,113 acres of land, the 12-lodge CMH and a real estate business — in a single transaction.
    So technically, they were kind of forced to buy the others.

Side note:

Intrawest CEO Tom Marano, who joined the company in November 2014, will make more than $33 million in the deal off his more than 2.64 million company stock options, not counting a severance package.

Not bad!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

I cannot for the life of me understand the shooting star lift purpose at Stratton other than being directly across from the sunrise lift. You can't lap the trails on the left and the right of the lift and its a really short lift. The Kidderbrook area could really use a lift IMO. The place would ski a lot bigger with it.

That run out is also one of the worst run outs in the east IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I will be curious to see where they invest first. My guest with places like Mammoth, and Winter Park, and Steamboat would be likely targets with them being in the top 20 resorts with the most skier visits.

So technically, they were kind of forced to buy the others.

Side note:

Intrawest CEO Tom Marano, who joined the company in November 2014, will make more than $33 million in the deal off his more than 2.64 million company stock options, not counting a severance package.

Not bad!
    How much investment is needed at WP? I know Mammoth needs a bit. Is the goal going to be to maximize skier visits at the already cash cow resorts or try to leverage the success of those resorts to try and upgrade resorts that are close, but a little bit away from being truly successful?

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I think they have enough to invest in with their current Eastern areas. Tremblant is way too crowded weekends (they need lift investment heavily) and Stratton probably needs some inventive redesign. I don't really see them focusing on the east, some western targets are more likely.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I wonder if Copper might be one of those targets. I would imagine that RMSP has been a pretty good competitor to Epic in the Denver area. I think they would need more then just Winter Park to compete against the trio of Breck, Keystone, and A Bay. Keeping Copper in the fold would help.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    I wonder if Copper might be one of those targets. I would imagine that RMSP has been a pretty good competitor to Epic in the Denver area. I think they would need more then just Winter Park to compete against the trio of Breck, Keystone, and A Bay. Keeping Copper in the fold would help.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Just have them buy all of POWDR. Simplifies everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I cannot for the life of me understand the shooting star lift purpose at Stratton other than being directly across from the sunrise lift. You can't lap the trails on the left and the right of the lift and its a really short lift. The Kidderbrook area could really use a lift IMO. The place would ski a lot bigger with it.

That run out is also one of the worst run outs in the east IMO.
    IIRC they put in the Shooting Star lift while the Kidderbrook chair was still in place. The idea was to offer a faster way to the summit from that side of the hill instead of the long slow KB chair. What they really should have done is just replaced the KB chair with a high speed lift.

Yes, that run out blows and then you are rewarded with a massive line at the Sunbowl chair to get back up the mountain.

Interesting article on what might happen....Holding has been gone for some time now.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/0...dont-think-so/
    Live, Ski, or Die!

IIRC they put in the Shooting Star lift while the Kidderbrook chair was still in place. The idea was to offer a faster way to the summit from that side of the hill instead of the long slow KB chair. What they really should have done is just replaced the KB chair with a high speed lift.

Yes, that run out blows and then you are rewarded with a massive line at the Sunbowl chair to get back up the mountain.

That would make sense, but I agree. Odd they did not look to replace that chair.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Interesting article on what might happen....Holding has been gone for some time now.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/0...dont-think-so/
    Snowbasin would really fuel the idea that they are trying to compete with Vail, IMO.

Thread Information