Are you at..where you want to be

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Are you at..where you want to be

Have you reached a point in your ability that you feel you cant go past?
    My trip to MRG got me thinking about this. Ive done some seriouse, to me at least,lines that had seriouse fall consequences. Now that im a regular to N VT..im wondering how much farther i can go. Its totaly different than the west where the lines are wide, huge in most places, the glades are open, etc. Pics like this:
    20180320_145234.jpg
    I find amazing..yes thats past paradise. So much more interesting than watching the stars drop Alaska lines..not that that isnt cool to watch but this stuff is right in front of you...
    Thoughts?
    And if anyone goes back there again..gopro if you have one..it would be very interesting to watch.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

I think I am as far as I can get being 50.

2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    I would do anything Snowbird has to throw at me, besides the elevator shaft. I am 53. I cant complain!

I could definitely improve my moguls (especially steep moguls) and tree skiing.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I think I am as far as I can get being 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    I am 53. I cant complain!
    These posts got me thinking, at what age does the average skier "retire" due to age rather than desire?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Mainly focusing on improving technique for more enjoyment and lower impact on the body. High school days were more about hucking cliffs for fun.

Steeps out west give me vertigo due to lack of trees, at least the open bowls. If there's a few trees around that changes everything, I need to have at least something in my peripheral vision pointing upright.

Places like MRG, Stowe, Jay, Sugarloaf, Smuggs, Magic etc I still find somewhat challenging depending on the conditions so I don't think I'll ever "outgrow" the East, nor do I intend to.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Me too..ive been going out west for 20 years and it didnt prepare me for eastern tree skiing. Dropped little chute at Baldy ..did nothing but scared the hell out of me..never again. Theres so much more i want to do..at 53 the clock is ticking..problem is that mistakes in the woods can be fatal..no room in there..but thats where its at up north.guess ill just slowly work my way in there..its the acceleration that i cant control enough..the good tree skiers just run through there...scares the hell out of me to hit a tree.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Every skier ( even WC, or Extreme comp skiers ) can improve within a personal range (where the top end of the range gets harder to obtain), until age mitigates that range, and even that is subjective of the individual.

I skied with a guide in whistler..84 years old and could just rip. Says i can do 40 pushups..can you..um..not without some pain. I would think around 90 it might be time to call it..all depends how you take care of yourself i guess.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    These posts got me thinking, at what age does the average skier "retire" due to age rather than desire?
    I don't think there's a meaningful average for that. For every old retired skier there's a personal story as to why they hung it up.
    Last edited by Scruffy; Mar 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM.

Thread Information