Hey Vail, Please Don't Buy Smugglers Notch Resort (or, Houston, We Have A Stalker) - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    At Stowe last year the people selling tickets were speaking pretty openly about Smuggs acquisition being in the near future.

That's all I have to go by. I wish it would not happen. From what I have seen of Vail resorts they all have a bit of homogeneity to their equation, which is exactly the opposite many of us are seeking with our favorite Northeast resorts.

Smuggs currently stands as a good value destination for familes / young kids / and expert skiers alike. Their lifts are at capacity even on non-peak days. It could be argued that Madonna 1 should be a quad, sure. But any kind of connectivity with Stowe or a massive increase in skier visits would wreck the formula and it would be a shame. Still a good mid-week destination I suppose, but at what additional cost (and do we really care about the "benefits"?).

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post

Smuggs currently stands as a good value destination for familes / young kids / and expert skiers alike. Their lifts are at capacity even on non-peak days. It could be argued that Madonna 1 should be a quad, sure. But any kind of connectivity with Stowe or a massive increase in skier visits would wreck the formula and it would be a shame. Still a good mid-week destination I suppose, but at what additional cost (and do we really care about the "benefits"?).
    Only Saturdays really. I think it's gotten worse as, "the world around them" has become more expensive. Stowe is more expensive. Jay Peak is more expensive, etc...
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Other than the location, next to Stowe, there is no real reason for Vail to buy Smuggs. It does not fit their equation. It needs a lot of upgrades in order to handle more people and Vail is not going to do that. As they have shown, they are interested in resorts that are in great shape and profitable as they are. Smuggs is doing fine, but I am skeptical that there is serious interest. Of course anything can happen.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Only Saturdays really. I think it's gotten worse as, "the world around them" has become more expensive. Stowe is more expensive. Jay Peak is more expensive, etc...
    Glad to hear that as I've gotten the impression otherwise, but only from relatively few visits. Would like to move Smuggs up my list and frequent it more... one of the few places where I pucker at some of the terrain. Too bad it's basically quicker to get to Jay Peak or anywhere else in Vermont due to the back roads required.

Also with a 9 month old I'm starting to think about places that have good kids programs and Smuggler's obviously excels in that category.

But as they do have such a solid stretch of "#1 Family Mountain" ratings that is a bit of a selling point for Vail. If I was Vail I'd buy it just for that and the terrain, and build a new lodge and put in a new lift on Madonna and put in a interconnect lift to Stowe.

That said, I hope they don't!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Other than the location, next to Stowe, there is no real reason for Vail to buy Smuggs. It does not fit their equation. It needs a lot of upgrades in order to handle more people and Vail is not going to do that. As they have shown, they are interested in resorts that are in great shape and profitable as they are. Smuggs is doing fine, but I am skeptical that there is serious interest. Of course anything can happen.
    Beds - do they own any at Stowe?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    No reason other than creating the undisputed king of north eastern skiing. Do you guys really think vail would blink an eye at a couple of new lifts and lodge upgrades? Really? I sure don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    its pretty obvious speculation. i doubt they are getting their scoops from us.
    The speculation is obvious because the owner of Smuggs is 80yrs old and it's adjacent to Stowe. I wouldn't be totally surprised if a Vail acquisition happened. I also wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen. An inter-connect (via lift) is probably a long way off if it could even happen at all with the issues intersecting the Long Trail, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Beds - do they own any at Stowe?
    That is a good point. Vail is reeling from the fact that they could not take control of ANY of the real estate that AIG (or whoever it is now) was building.

BUT the Smuggs bedbase is on the WRONG side of the Notch...even with an interconnect. Even with a super expensive, and unlikely to ever be allowed by VT, gondola connecting both sides, it still is not feasible.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    No reason other than creating the undisputed king of north eastern skiing. Do you guys really think vail would blink an eye at a couple of new lifts and lodge upgrades? Really? I sure don’t.
    More work would be needed than that.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by QQ19701003 View Post
    yes
    No one wants your craptastic product and isn't even relevant to this forum so how about just leaving us alone. I can guarantee you that I will intentionally not buy any product from your company because of this.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Thread Information