• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Copper Mountain, C.O 2-20-2007

loafer89

Area Skied: Copper Mountain Colorado

Date skied: February 20th, 2007 from 9:00am - 2:00pm

Surface conditions: 6-8" of powder

Tuesday the 20th was our last day of skiing in Summit County and Copper had recieved the most new snow from the previous night's storm so we loaded up our car and soon where rewarded with fresh powder tracks.

We started out by taking the American Eagle to the Excelerator chair and we skied some deep snow on Copperopolis and Warren waited for me when I got first tracks on Hallelujah Ridge which is serviced by a poma that Warren did not want to ski.

We continued down the mountain together on Hallelujah which had 6" of powder on it plus 2-4" of older powder snow from the previous few days, making for boot top powder turns. Next up was Sawtooth of of the Resolution Chair which had big powder bumps on it from top to bottom with lots of fresh lines on it especially on the trail edges.

We skied down to the American Flyer via Copperopolis/Sea&ski/Coppertone and Carefree trails which had soft buttery packed powder on them which made for great turns. We headed up to the Sierra Lift and skied great powder on Timber Ridge, and Union Bowl was looking great so we decided to head in that direction by skiing to Copper Bowl.

I have to admitt that Copper Bowl was too steep for Warren and made for some interesting skiing. We skied down Bradleys Plunge which is part of Copper Mountain's extreme double diamond terrain. To get into the bowl you have to ski over a cornice and Warren panicked about halfway down a cross cut through it with me behind him. Rather than hit him I dug my ski's into the snow and did a 10 point cartwheel and managed to get right back up again.:razz:

Warren did his best and fell a few times, but managed to get up by himself with me watching things from above him. The snow was so-so due to the bowls southern exposure and sun baked snow.

We headed back up and I skied Union Bowl alone while Warren skied down Timber Ridge. Union Bowl was excellent and skiing it was like floating on light airy powder, alot of the bowl was skied out by then, but I did manage to get my own line for most of the run.

We finished the day with skiing in Enchanted Forest Glade and skiing in kids glades on the side of the Copperopolis Trail.

Hallelujah Ridge:

FreshpowderonHallelujahRidge.jpg

Sawtooth powder:

SawtoothPowder.jpg

Sawtooth Moguls:

SawtoothMoguls.jpg

Warren about to ski big time:

Warrenskiingwiththebigboys.jpg

Copper Bowl:

CopperBowl.jpg

Union Bowl:

UnionBowl.jpg

Last edited:

roark

Looks better than when I was there. Union bowl sure got tracked out considering what a B!tch it is to get there.