Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts. - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleetus View Post
    Anyone see mad river included in the promo list...uhh
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Different place.
    Yup...Peaks owned a Mad River Mountain in Ohio. 300 feet of vertical!

I would imagine that Vail has had their eyes on mount snow for years. Vail probably had to bite the bullet on the smaller resorts to get her! I'll be the first to say it, but it is clear that vail will try to get their hands on Haystack somehow.

That being said.....Very interesting times to be a landowner up there!

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver85 View Post
    Just saw this. Went to look for comments on the season pass holder forum for Mount Snow and was locked out.
    Tried the same earlier but got the "you are suspended" message. Nice to know it wasn't just me.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    BG, please give us your rationale on how Vail will come crashing down in the not-so-distant future...a lot of people need it right now!!!
    I've written here about my thoughts on this in the past, including how I thought Vail would buy Peaks sooner-rather-than-later, as they both needed each other.

At the end of the day, I've seen this movie many times before, in numerous sectors, and I know how it ends. The film is entitled, "Growth through acquisition rather than organic results", and I've never seen it have a happy ending. Not even once.

Eventually you run out of, "stuff to buy", and your quality of acquisitions gets worse as you've already plucked the low-hanging-fruit, not to mention the benefits of scale decrease, also you ironically drive up the cost of future acquisitions via your own actions. Growth stalls. Stock drops. Activist investors scream. Ohhh.... and the current CEO probably jumps ship prior to this point (while things still look good) and declares victory, leaving the new CEO with the tough job. This entire process will take some years though.

EDIT: On the bright side though, BG pockets some SKIS cash from this lunacy.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Jul 22, 2019 at 7:29 AM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I wonder when anti-trust concerns come up?
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

EDIT: On the bright side though, BG pockets some SKIS cash from this lunacy.
    Hah! I thought you had SKIS stock for some reason. This is one time I actually wish I had invested in something. The stock was so cheap for quite a while and Vail is paying a pretty nice price per share relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Hah! I thought you had SKIS stock for some reason. This is one time I actually wish I had invested in something. The stock was so cheap for quite a while and Vail is paying a pretty nice price per share relatively speaking.
    I broke one of my big investing rules to own it, that rule being, never buy a stock simply because you think someone will aquire them.

SKIS is an absolutely terrible investment, just horrible, but I couldn't envision a scenario whereby Vail didn't buy them. Peaks needed an exit from their financial idiocy & misery, and Vail desperately needed east coast access to keep their growth story going with Wall Street's institutional investors.

Poor Stowe. Going to be absolutely flooded with BENNY Hunter skiers now.

Rest In Peace.

Vail Resorts is buying Peak Resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by benedictgomez View Post
    benny hunter skiers
    benny?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    benny?
    Ever hear of the MTV show, Jersey Shore?

Those are Benny's (Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, NY City).

Thread Information