Jury Awards $3.3 Million Verdict Against Wachusett for Chairlift Incident - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    3 minutes!!!Blows my mind that nobody in line yelled for the lifty or hit the stop button on their own.??? 3 minutes at X amount feet per minute on a high speed Quad!!! That’s a long way up!!!
    The bystander effect is real. Or everyone is mega oblivious, but there isn't a ton to do in lift lines besides watch chairs, so I refuse to believe EVERYONE missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Which job in a ski area isn’t important enough to require a competent well paid adult but can be done by stoned failure-to-launch loser?
    I'll go with gift shop clerk.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I guess we'll likely never know for sure, but I'm going to take a stab at the "how" question being asked with: "millennial playing on a smartphone".
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    An interesting situation that seems to demonstrate that perhaps the role of lift operator is more important than that of a minimum-wage job for a stoned failure-to-launch adult.
    That's a rather broad generalization. Having been a patroller previously at Wachusett Mtn, the summit chair is generally staffed by at least 3 or more more people- two in the operations room overlooking the platform, and one or two loading the chair. If the incident occurred during night skiing, it is likely this type of thing could happen anyplace. When the chair leaves the loading platform, it rides immediately over a pond before eventually travelling over trails. If it happened at night, with minimal people on the trails, I could see how this might go unnoticed unfortunately.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Sunday River had a somewhat similar incident some time ago. The kid got up there a bit, but the lifty stopped the lift and they were able to get him down safely. Sunday River has since put stop cables just past the load area. If someone is hanging, they will take out the stop cable stopping the lift. They had to modify them after the first season as dangling snow boards made for a few accidental stops.

The news story says that the kid was facing in the wrong direction when the chair came around to me that's a stop no matter what!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    That's a rather broad generalization. Having been a patroller previously at Wachusett Mtn, the summit chair is generally staffed by at least 3 or more more people- two in the operations room overlooking the platform, and one or two loading the chair. If the incident occurred during night skiing, it is likely this type of thing could happen anyplace. When the chair leaves the loading platform, it rides immediately over a pond before eventually travelling over trails. If it happened at night, with minimal people on the trails, I could see how this might go unnoticed unfortunately.
    Yes I've seen other areas that have drop offs right after the end of the ramp area . Real simple solution ...Circus type net .

"Make Greenland Green again"

Wow, some of you posters on here sure are the judgy keyboard warrior types.

You can never fully eliminate the human factor and as humans we all make mistakes.

Do you know how easy it is to lose focus when bumping chairs all day? It’s incredibly boring.

As far as paying employees better wages and the costs of lift tickets.......I’m guessing paying off 3.3 million dollar lawsuits doesn’t help lift ticket prices either.

Seeing as a group of high school kids once got an entire base lodge couch onto the Minuteman Express and brought it to the top, nothing surprises me at Wachusett.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19

2019-20 days - 5
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3

So a few thoughts.

First, I think that Crowley did a good PR job of saying he felt bad for what happened and that they hope the kid gets better. Good on him. Ultimately it is their insurer who retained counsel and handled the defense so I imagine that they will file an appeal.

Second, the job indeed is monotonous and not everyone is omniscient. I did not see in the article a summary of the employee's testimony as to what happened. Who knows. Certainly it was a bad situation all the way around.

At least the kid is OK.

Just another reminder to keep an eye on your kids.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information