• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about something different

cdskier

Successfully made a run to my local Hanover, NJ Wegmans. The "independently owned" liquor store inside the supermarket that happens to accept Wegmans cards and employs people with Wegmans clothes was very much open for business.:beer:

Of course it is open. As are all other liquor stores in NJ.

FWIW, Wegmans has multiple individual legal entities actually holding those licenses (maybe a 2 license per corporation limit?). The liquor stores in the Wegmans in Hanover and Ocean Township are actually "Ocean Wine & Spirits, Inc".

Hawk

It's a complete misnomer. There's no such thing as "full strength" beer (or sometimes "strong beer") as you read about it in Utah newspapers regarding this issue. A friggin' Budweiser is not the global alcohol content standard for what constitutes real beer. Far from it if you know anything about beer or are someone who enjoys craft brewing, microbrews, and decent beer versus mass produced garbage.

The semantics of what he was saying is how most people feel about Utah's heavy handed Mormon rules regarding beer. Up until last November that Bud you were drinking was 3.2% alcohol by weight as opposed to the rest of the country at 4+%. So yes, based on what the rest of the country was drinking, it was not "real" beer. I totally understand that feeling and agree with how it is being portrayed.

EPB

Of course it is open. As are all other liquor stores in NJ.".

Sarcasm doesn't show up well over the internet!

FWIW, Wegmans has multiple individual legal entities actually holding those licenses (maybe a 2 license per corporation limit?). The liquor stores in the Wegmans in Hanover and Ocean Township are actually "Ocean Wine & Spirits, Inc".

I figured that's how it had to work (had no idea about the # of licences though).

Kinda silly, but these old laws tend to die hard. This is a pretty straightforward workaround though.

I actually really like the BYOB deal here. It's significantly cheaper to bring your own bottle of sub-$10 bottle of wine to dinner instead of paying that much by the glass.

Hawk

Of course it is open. As are all other liquor stores in NJ.

I stopped into my Local Kappy's Liqueurs and low and behold, they just got a shipment of Lawsons. I picked up a 12 of Super Session, and (2) 4 packs of Sip-o-sunshine and Maple House IPA. Kind of makes me feel I am back in the valley.

cdskier

Kinda silly, but these old laws tend to die hard. This is a pretty straightforward workaround though.

I actually really like the BYOB deal here. It's significantly cheaper to bring your own bottle of sub-$10 bottle of wine to dinner instead of paying that much by the glass.

Yea, I agree some of these laws are kind of silly. I do love the BYOB here in NJ though. I don't really view it as a money saver though, just a way to pay the same amount and get a much better wine. In particular I love being able to buy a wine at a decent retail price and age it myself for a few years before drinking it. Your typical local neighborhood restaurant wouldn't have the storage space to even be able to do that (never mind how much they would charge if they did hold onto a bottle for 5+ years or something like that).

Keelhauled

I work in an essential industry and don't generally stray too far afield for much other than groceries anyway.

Pandemic? What pandemic?

JimG.

Staff member
Sounds like if the terrorists figure out a way to shut down alcohol production and distribution this country is done for.

skiur

I've been to supermarkets selling beer wine and booze in ft Lee, Edgewater, Leonia, pal park, Hackensack, Teaneck.... .it's not uncommon.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
We've been working on all the shit that you have to do to lay people off. Crappy work. Half our company is being cut, big pay cut for all the rest.

One thing that really bites, firing people is way easier than a furlough, that would have the company picking up the tab for health insurance. So much more exposure — ability for employees to sue — with furlough than with layoff.

Tomorrow or maybe Thursday, will be a very sad day in our building.

jimk

Yeah, of the times I've been to Utah, you need to order from cans to get the better beers, which is ironic (and sad). Hopefully as more people move there some of those ridiculous laws will go the way of the Dodo. At least that Zion Barrier or Zion Curtain thing's gone. The first time I was to Utah was 2016, and I was flabbergasted that that was an actual thing.

I don't go to bars much so I had to google Zion Curtain, i.e. screen between bartender and customers. I didn't start coming to Utah often until winter of 2016 and I think it was eliminated around then?

BenedictGomez

I've been to supermarkets selling beer wine and booze in ft Lee, Edgewater, Leonia, pal park, Hackensack, Teaneck.... .it's not uncommon.

Take the total # of grocery stores in New Jersey that have a liquor license; now divide that by the total number of grocery stores in New Jersey. It is definitely uncommon.

BenedictGomez

I don't go to bars much so I had to google Zion Curtain, i.e. screen between bartender and customers. I didn't start coming to Utah often until winter of 2016 and I think it was eliminated around then?

Yeah, 2017 or 2018 I think.

legalskier

Trying to get inmates released- adults and juveniles- technical and/or minor offenders. Chasing down rumors for worried loved ones about positive C-19 tests behind bars. Courts are going virtual.

Down the street from my home is a river with an old mill that now has offices in it. Over a hundred years ago the mill owner built some stone features along the river like a gazebo, a wall, a viewing platform for the river carnivals, and a stone gate leading into the area, then abandoned the development. The rest of the park is in a natural state along the river with a paved path. Someone in our area put together a group to clear & restore them, as well as reviving an underused park across from the mill. The town just repaired the damn by the mill and planted lots of trees. Not far from there is a skating pond adjacent to the river which we believe has a tile bottom, now under 2 feet or so of mud. They're going to do a dig to find out. These are just some of the planned projects. So I've been spending a lot of time down the street with them, as well as battling the knot weed that is taking advantage of any opening where a tree fell by planting/maintaining baby trees over the years. (Are you familiar with knot weed? If not, you will be.)
This weekend I was planting some willows when I looked up & saw a full grown fox 30' away & heading my way. It stalked me as I backtracked through the woods- finally scooted when I reached the path & banged my shovel on it. That was fun.

IMG_9040(1).jpg
^ In foreground is the broken water gate to the skating pond on the right.

ScottySkis

We've been working on all the shit that you have to do to lay people off. Crappy work. Half our company is being cut, big pay cut for all the rest.

One thing that really bites, firing people is way easier than a furlough, that would have the company picking up the tab for health insurance. So much more exposure — ability for employees to sue — with furlough than with layoff.

Tomorrow or maybe Thursday, will be a very sad day in our building.

Very sorry about that

ScottySkis

Besides politics..
How are you spending your days?
I have to work in NYC twice a week but can have almost no contact with people. Days off..lately a lot of you tube and some small projects. Face time with my trainer in my gym. What i dont like is going to the supermarket. Its a Trader Joes so not very crowded but i feel its the most exposed i am all week. Food delivery has become almost non existant.
And you?

This thread was originally posted this morning different places by evening