How about something different - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I was working in Boston up until yesterday. Charlie Baker ended that. Where I am it was not a big deal. There were only 8 of us on my floor that were left. needless to say social distancing was easy. For the most part my wife and I spend very little time indoors if we are not working. De-thatched, fertilized and over seeded the lawn Saturday and Sunday. Cleaned up all the perennial beds. Took off the burlap and winter protection off the bushes. fertilized the roses and other flowering bushes. Put in some manure and turned the vegetable garden. My mountain bike group has not stopped all winter here on the coast. It has been great riding with no snow except for 3 weeks in January and even that was no big deal. We are still riding this week with large social distancing. We keep at least 20 - 30 feet on the trials and even in the parking lot. Beach walks with my wife have been a new development but she really likes it. I'm not much for waling and always opt for the bike. We are very experienced at a variety of cooking styles and that has also been fun to use with no restaurants. Plenty of mixed drinks, wine, beer and general booziness. What else can you do? But get out of the house. It makes you feel so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    They sell regular strength beer and various IPA's, etc. in Utah grocery stores now.
    I hate this Utah specific term. There's no such thing, and Utah's alcohol content is still the lowest in America. You can even brew a proper IPA & sell it in Utah without lowering the alcohol content, even with the revised upward content. Nor you can have a home keg system. That state needs alcoholic's revolution.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Mar 24, 2020 at 11:55 AM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I don't understand your comment. What is it that you hate about that term? So are you saying that Budweiser sold in Salt lake has the same alcohol percentage as Budweiser sold in NY?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't understand your comment. What is it that you hate about that term? So are you saying that Budweiser sold in Salt lake has the same alcohol percentage as Budweiser sold in NY?
    It's a complete misnomer. There's no such thing as "full strength" beer (or sometimes "strong beer") as you read about it in Utah newspapers regarding this issue. A friggin' Budweiser is not the global alcohol content standard for what constitutes real beer. Far from it if you know anything about beer or are someone who enjoys craft brewing, microbrews, and decent beer versus mass produced garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Never been there in the summer..have to go when this is over...
    It's actually quite nice, I did my honeymoon there in 2018 (1 week in Moab, 1 week in Park City). I was impressed with how much free outdoor summer recreation there is in the PC area, hundreds of miles of bike trails, fishing, hiking galore, it was great.

Did quite a bit of hiking atop Deer Valley & near Brighton, visited some of the mountaintop ponds etc. Only thing that I imagine would be frustrating as a local is how short it is; between mountain melt-out & terra firma to significant snowfall again I imagine is only 4 months tops. The valley recreation would be much longer though, but anyway, we really loved it.

Ive hiked all over the east coast but find the Dr ock formations,canyons more facinating in utah..from what ive seen going there for over 20 years in winter..
    Its the only place ive felt drawn to..
    In a but of a funk now..have to get outside more..wander around my property a bit..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Yeah, I guess I have vague notions of getting a condo in Park City instead of mooching off my son, but a SLC local has cautioned me that the winters are a lot longer there than in the SLC valley and you're just as close to good or better skiing from down in the valley.

My unsophisticated solution to the formerly weak Utah supermarket beer was to drink 16oz cans
    And IIRC the weak stuff was priced a little lower than the identical brand regular stuff I'd drink back east.

Ive gotten quite smashed for many years there drinking whats available...just dont ask for a properly made old fashioned...learned that the hard way at the cliff lodge
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    My unsophisticated solution to the formerly weak Utah supermarket beer was to drink 16oz cans
    Yeah, of the times I've been to Utah, you need to order from cans to get the better beers, which is ironic (and sad). Hopefully as more people move there some of those ridiculous laws will go the way of the Dodo. At least that Zion Barrier or Zion Curtain thing's gone. The first time I was to Utah was 2016, and I was flabbergasted that that was an actual thing.

Successfully made a run to my local Hanover, NJ Wegmans. The "independently owned" liquor store inside the supermarket that happens to accept Wegmans cards and employs people with Wegmans clothes was very much open for business.
    Ski season is always too short

Thread Information