Skiing is back! - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Skiing is back!

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    I could be wrong but they can't stop you from going into a state and then back to your own state. I believe that is called taking away your liberties.
    If government continues this thru May. People will have cabin fever, they will go out anyway. There will be bigger and bigger protests against the government.
    I'd never heard of the governor of RI before this, but she has been one of the most extreme. Probably the most extreme in America AFAIK.

She may wind up bankrupting little Rhode Island in legal fees before this is over!
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

If government continues this thru May. People will have cabin fever, they will go out anyway. There will be bigger and bigger protests against the government.
    It's already happened. Today broke the "new cases per day" record in the US. In my personal travels in-town in CT people auto traffic is WAYYYY up compared to 2 weeks ago. I'd say at 60-75% the normal amount of vehicles on the road. Two weeks ago it was desolate. Today the line for the drive-thru for Chick-fil-a was out onto the street. People just want to get out of the house.

A couple articles I read had determined that roughly 10% of LA and 20% of NYC tested positive for antibodies already...a slow growth to heard immunity is hellova lot faster than waiting a year for a vaccine.
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    It's already happened. Today broke the "new cases per day" record in the US. In my personal travels in-town in CT people auto traffic is WAYYYY up compared to 2 weeks ago. I'd say at 60-75% the normal amount of vehicles on the road. Two weeks ago it was desolate. Today the line for the drive-thru for Chick-fil-a was out onto the street. People just want to get out of the house.

A couple articles I read had determined that roughly 10% of LA and 20% of NYC tested positive for antibodies already...a slow growth to heard immunity is hellova lot faster than waiting a year for a vaccine.
    Just a little statistics lesson. New cases per day doesn't mean anything if it only goes up because more tests are being done. It is the % positive rate that matters. If that rate stays the same it means you are only capturing more cases because you are doing more testing (not because more people are sick).
    2017/2018

+1

I was reading in the Harvard medical journal. They were saying 30-55 times more people have or had coronavirus and didn't show any symptoms. They feel when all said in done the mortality rate will be closer to .1% and the flu is .06%.
    Another interesting fact they brought up. children under 12 are effected more with the Flu than conaronavirus. Where the coronavirus effects more old and doesn't affect the young like the Flu.
    Lastly, Boston as of Wednesday only 40% of the beds that Boston Hospitals have for Coronavirus symptoms were filled.
    Last edited by nhskier1969; Apr 25, 2020 at 4:53 AM.

+1

I was reading in the Harvard medical journal. They were saying 30-55 times more people have or had coronavirus and didn't show any symptoms. They feel when all said in done the mortality rate will be closer to .1% and the flu is .06%.
    Another interesting fact they brought up. children under 12 are effected more with the Flu than conaronavirus. Where the coronavirus effects more old and doesn't affect the young like the Flu.
    Lastly, Boston as of Wednesday only 40% of the beds that Boston Hospitals have for Coronavirus symptoms were filled.
    Yes that's another article I read. We're going to be at 1 million confirmed cases in the US by Monday. If the reality is 30-55 million people have had this already and are immune to it then we're already a significant portion of the way towards herd immunity.

I'm interested to see how people will look back at this in the future. Social distancing was effective in that it slowed the spread to let hospitals develop their resources (evident now by stories of hospitals operating at a fraction of their capacity). It was not effective in stopping the chain of transmission, which, I'm sure a lot of people thought would happen with all the "oh we'll be back to normal in 6 weeks!" comments".

We really just need to let this thing run it's course. Don't be irresponsible- concerts, amusement parks, arenas, etc are probably off limits for a while still but daily activities where one person may infect a few people (not hundreds) should be acceptable. This thing spreads wayyyy too easily for anyone to think we're going to get rid of it with the measures we're taking now. China literally locked people in their houses in Wuhan- no autos, no mass transit, no one allowed in/out of the city, no going out for exercise- and they still couldn't totally stop it.
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Let's just hope that immunity occurs and last. At this point, there is no proof that immunity occurs with Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Let's just hope that immunity occurs and last. At this point, there is no proof that immunity occurs with Covid-19.
    While that's technically true, it is highly likely that there is an immune response via memory T-cells. I feel like they're needlessly giving the general public the worst case scenario at virtually every turn of this pandemic & scaring people, or at least paralyzing them with negative speculative uncertainty.

I think it's logical to start with SARS-Cov for a guesstimate on COVID19 immunity duration, and that we know is about 3 years, which is actually pretty bad. There are many viruses which post-infection produce an antigen response > the life of a human being. That said, I consider this a non-issue, because I'm confident: A) There will be a duration of immunity B) There will be a vaccine much sooner than immune duration.

Not looking good for A Basin since they are telling everyone to stay out of the mountains until May 30th!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The news at about noon time reported that one of the major labs had a reporting glitch and they released results yesterday that make up for missed cases so the jump was more or less an aberration. Quest Diagnostics was the culprit

I'd say at 60-75% the normal amount of vehicles on the road. Two weeks ago it was desolate. Today the line for the drive-thru for Chick-fil-a was out onto the street. People just want to get out of the house.
    Last Friday when I was last out in public, I noticed more people out-and-about versus 13 days prior, which was the last time I'd been in public at that time. Today walking on my back road I noticed more cars than at any time in the last 6 weeks of quarantine. Totally speculative as are your comments above, but it makes me wonder if people are starting to break.

Thread Information