Skiing is back! - Page 48

AlpineZone

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Skiing is back!

You both sound like two peas in a pod on this topic.

There are so many Covid experts out there these days I am astonished there are enough workers for other trades.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    U use to post their years ago why u stop just curious
    I still do post there, only during ski season, only about Platty, Gore, or Whiteface. It's a more limited forum with less activity, and I frankly dont really care for the posting/editing mechanics of whatever engine drives that website, but that's just me.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Saw Crystal in WA is opening on June 1st. Add them to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    You both sound like two peas in a pod on this topic.

There are so many Covid experts out there these days I am astonished there are enough workers for other trades.
    The only reason basket weavers and the rest of the liberal arts grads have recently found work!

When I was a 20s grunt on the trade floor, one of the grunt-like things I did was read through BLS employment data as soon as it came out. Today's employment data is not just the biggest miss in the history of that particular data ever (literally), it to my mind has to be the greatest miss in the history of any Wall Street economic data ever. EVER. It has been several hours now since it's release, and I am still absolutely, positively, stunned. I actually started watering up while reading it.

care to explain, in layman's terms please
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    care to explain, in layman's terms please
    Economists estimate was for today's jobs report to show another 8.5 Million Americans lost their job.

The unemployment data release this morning showed 2.5 Million Americans actually gained new jobs.

Nothing like that has ever happened before, and it shows what's being done to help the economy & workers is working better than anyone ever could have possibly imagined. It's tremendously positive for our nation & millions of suffering people. Hopefully this COVID19 malaise will be behind us sooner rather than later.

interesting...

How could they have missed the mark? I mean every day things are changing and evolving, but that's like an 11 million job swing
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

How could they have missed the mark? I mean every day things are changing and evolving, but that's like an 11 million job swing
    If I knew that I'd be rich right now.

But were I to speculate, I'd suggest that whenever you're dealing with something that's never happened before, you tend to get your biggest forecasting errors as you have less prior evidence to lean on & increased variables to input. That IMO is likely what happened, though even that said this is absurdly dramatic. Clearly economists nationwide were far more negative about how things are going than is the reality.

interesting...

Because the economic crisis right now is not rooted in economics, rather from government interventions for a medical viral outbreak crisis. As far as I'm concerned, the markets are not reacting as one might expect. The unemployment numbers do not jive with the filings for unemployment insurance as some of these recipients are back to work already as sectors open and some on unemployment now would have never been eligible pre-covid for unemployment anyway (and this probably would not be counted now as unemployed on the jobs report). This entire crisis from a financial/economic perspective is really totally new ground for economists and the market to digest and try to make sense of.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information