• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permission to Camp along the M&M Trails in CT!

czimborbryan

It has taken me months of painstaking research without the slightest help from the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. Anyway, I have come up with a list of private landowners that may be willing to grant special permission to camp on their property while backpacking the M&M Trails through Connecticut.

Even though these landowners had granted me and my friends special permission, it should not be taken for granted that they will grant permission to anyone. I suggest requesting permission at least three weeks before taking the excursion to allow for the red tape. It is also wise to use Leave-No-Trace camping ethics and to avoid using open fires.

The Mattabesett Trail has 9 potential camping areas that I found. If granted permission to camp at these locations, it would be easy to plan a backpacking trip with fairly reasonable mileage between locations.

The Metacomet Trail has only 6 potential camping spots that I could find and some may require a marathon effort between locations. Even so, the Metacomet is still able to be backpacked.

For contact information of the landowners, please follow this link Camping Link.

A big sarcastic thank-you should go out to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association for making this project possible. If it wasn't for them, camping would have been established years ago. I had requested their assistance with this project, but they had refused to cooperate. They seem to be under the impression that camping will somehow ruin a backpacking trail.