• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saving Mont Alta, Québec !!!!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I'm just the messenger and I have no vested interest except spreading the word that some people are getting together to save one of the most unique small ski hill in the Laurentians.

Here is what SBC Skier had to say about Mont Alta back in 2008.
"Mont Alta is the last vestige of the ski-wherever-you-damn-well-please attitude (…) no fake snow here, no grooming and no highway flattop. There are also no beautiful people, fake tans, or bad skiers. Off-limits at Alta is governed only by fear and inability. Jutting branches and rock cliffs are teaching tools, and come dump time, powder piggies line up for first tracks and snort to their heart’s content."

I've spoken to a few people about what is happening. This is serious and they already did some groundwork with the owner, banks, etc. They gathering support from many at direct levels that don't want to let the place become another "lost" ski area. They are trying to see if how strong the support is for a Coop (more below and the following links).

The following is I wrote on Ski Mad World:

The future was indeed uncertain for the quaint Laurentians ski area located in Val David. After 3 consecutive bad years, last season was finally a good snow season north of Montreal, however Mont Alta didn’t open in 2012-13 due to a number of circumstances. The long time owner Osward Lingat has recently put the ski area on the market, but something has happen in the last few months. Behind the scenes, some people couldn’t accept to let Mont Alta become just another lost ski area. In their eyes, Mont Alta is too unique, too special not to go everything possible to save it. But first, the mountain has to open for the coming season.

Taken from the Mont Alta website:
"YES, Mont Alta will be in operation this winter (2013-14)! ALTHOUGH…

As many of you may already know, the Mont Alta is for sale, since March 2013. Our goal is to form a cooperative to acquire it, so we can preserve the mountain and its history! We are currently looking for investors who are willing to give time, energy and… money so we can all claim the land to be ours again! If you are interested into being part of Mont Alta’s rebirth, please fill in the following form. We will be in touch with you very soon."

Form : http://www.mont-alta.com/

Ski Mad World will also post more on the subject in the coming weeks.

Further information on the project on Zoneski : And what if we bought back Mont Alta?

http://www.zoneski.com/article.php?id=225

In its 10 years of existence, the Quebec ski forum Zoneski has encouraged people to explore some of lesser known ski areas like Mont Alta. Although Zoneski isn’t in the market to buy a ski area, it represents the Quebec skiing community and helping people get-together for this venture.

A bunch of further links on Mont Alta on my post here :
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/monday-mad-addicts-attic-mont-alta-2/

fbrissette

As much as I like the Mt Alta model (kinda like Mad River Glen), and yes, I have skied there, in my opinion, there is not enough natural snow and the terrain is not challenging enough to make it sustainable. I for one, would not invest money in this venture.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
As much as I like the Mt Alta model (kinda like Mad River Glen), and yes, I have skied there, in my opinion, there is not enough natural snow and the terrain is not challenging enough to make it sustainable. I for one, would not invest money in this venture.

Yes, Mont Alta gets less snow and less terrain...but it is also cheaper.

Anyway, my money is already spoken for (at MRG), but I know a few that are willing to put money or work to help. I'm hoping all the best of luck to them and hope they are successful. The Laurentians and the ski world in general needs more ski areas like Mt Alta keeping skiing real and affordable.

fbrissette

Cheap is relative. Value for money is key for me. 350$ for a season pass is cheap indeed. What do you get for it ? Limited vertical, one chairlift, a ski chalet that is pretty much a barn, and a very short season. All in all, not much value for money according to my standards unless you live very close by.