• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Posting from the Throne

ski9

How many more feet of vertical does Sno need to beat out Blue? Pile up some trash and put a few snow guns on it. That'll really steal GSS's thunder. :)

I think it's a mere 82' to go. And you are true genius, Moe. Okay, send the trucks to Moosic!

ski9

Just the facts:

Where the trash comes from:
051207L.jpg

The Pennsylvania 'wasteland' where it ends up:
1779980226_a7b93724af.jpg

Really.

Dr Skimeister

Okay, so this is the scene: an intelligent, somewhat affluent New Jersey resident stands holding his rotting trash and concludes it is both moral and ethical to to dump it on "someone else's" pristine land because he can afford the fee and, heck, there was once a thriving coal industry in that state?

Huh?

PA is a wasteland?

I was born and raised in Hunterdon County...and am glad to have left.

I'd suppose that a more truthful depiction of the scene goes like this: Someone with money that would like to see it grow purchases hundreds and hundreds of acres of land that is being sold by its owner because he or she has no use for it, it having been depleted of any of it's natural value by misuse over the last 100+ years. The new owner, often referred to as "investor", strikes a deal that provides that people driving tractor-trailers filled with trash from both near and far will pay "investor" money to stop their trucks on this property and empty that trash. People that live in the vicinity of this land are either content by knowing that there is now a place in the area that will provide an income or don't give a rat's ass what the "investor" is doing with the land on the other side of the mountain.

Believe me when I tell you that I'm the last person that agrees with the spoiling of pristine land.

I'm just not following the logic that has you lashing out at a state because some law-breaking garbage truck driver illegally dumped trash from that state in Pennsylvania.

Hell, the driver may have been from Delaware for all we know.

ski9

I'd suppose that a more truthful depiction of the scene goes like this: Someone with money that would like to see it grow purchases hundreds and hundreds of acres of land that is being sold by its owner because he or she has no use for it, it having been depleted of any of it's natural value by misuse over the last 100+ years. The new owner, often referred to as "investor", strikes a deal that provides that people driving tractor-trailers filled with trash from both near and far will pay "investor" money to stop their trucks on this property and empty that trash. People that live in the vicinity of this land are either content by knowing that there is now a place in the area that will provide an income or don't give a rat's ass what the "investor" is doing with the land on the other side of the mountain.

Believe me when I tell you that I'm the last person that agrees with the spoiling of pristine land.

I'm just not following the logic that has you lashing out at a state because some law-breaking garbage truck driver illegally dumped trash from that state in Pennsylvania.

Hell, the driver may have been from Delaware for all we know.

You are going on the premise that these landfills are somehow on abandoned coal mines? That they are on land that is "depleted of its natural value"? Tioga, Lackawanna, and Bradford Counties are some of the most beautiful places on the East Coast.

The real motivation behind NJ dumping in PA is because at $7.25 a ton, it's cheaper for you people than recycling.

And I'm a clown....

Dr Skimeister

You are going on the premise that these landfills are somehow on abandoned coal mines? That they are on land that is "depleted of its natural value"? Tioga, Lackawanna, and Bradford Counties are some of the most beautiful places on the East Coast.

The real motivation behind NJ dumping in PA is because at $7.25 a ton, it's cheaper for you people than recycling.

And I'm a clown....

Did someone hold the proverbial gun to the heads of people in Tioga, Lackawanna, and Bradford counties and force them to open landfills against their will? If so, then there's the crime.

I'll admit that my knowledge of landfill demographics is nil, but somehow landfills in Pennsylvania holding only trash from New Jersey seems like it would be quite a stretch of the facts.

Moe Ghoul

Poor people always get dumped on. That's capitalism. Incinerators, landfills, refineries and prisons seem to find their way there.

And now the rush is on for shale and nat gas.

ski9

Poor people always get dumped on. That's capitalism. Incinerators, landfills, refineries and prisons seem to find their way there.

And now the rush is on for shale and nat gas.

x2. The presentation by the natural gas companies seemed an awful lot like Santa coming to town. People were giddy. I'm sure glad our immediate area is all watershed.

ski9

Did someone hold the proverbial gun to the heads of people in Tioga, Lackawanna, and Bradford counties and force them to open landfills against their will? If so, then there's the crime.

I'll admit that my knowledge of landfill demographics is nil, but somehow landfills in Pennsylvania holding only trash from New Jersey seems like it would be quite a stretch of the facts.

That's the American spirit!!!!

Just like those wretched, unappreciative people of Bhopal who had it great before the little spill at the Union Carbide plant.

Dr. S., I'm sure we agree on lots of things, but please just keep your garbage.

As to the facts, since 1992, PA has been the largest importer of state-to-state garbage, outshining Virginia by nearly 60%. Woo hoo! And 94% of the garbage comes from NJ/NY, who are pigs beyond belief.

Dr Skimeister

That's the American spirit!!!!

Just like those wretched, unappreciative people of Bhopal who had it great before the little spill at the Union Carbide plant.

Dr. S., I'm sure we agree on lots of things, but please just keep your garbage.

As to the facts, since 1992, PA has been the largest importer of state-to-state garbage, outshining Virginia by nearly 60%. Woo hoo! And 94% of the garbage comes from NJ/NY, who are pigs beyond belief.

Obviously your research methods go beyond anything I'd even come close to duplicating. I'm amazed that Pennsylvania, which has 40+% greater population than NJ has 94% of it's garbage being imported.

I'm happy, for your sake, that the trash from both my home and my office finds it's final resting place in a landfill less than 15 miles from here.

This is from a NY Time article from March 2008:

"New Jersey had one of the highest recycling rates in the country in 1995 when it recycled about 45 percent of its municipal trash. But by 2005, the most recent year for which figures are available, the rate had dropped to 33.8 percent, just above the national average of 32 percent, said Guy Watson, the chief of the Bureau of Recycling and Planning for the State Department of Environmental Protection."

The latest figures I find for PA are from 2001, as published by PA Dept. of State:

"Recycling data indicate that Pennsylvanians recycled nearly four million tons of materials and our recycling rate climbed to 36.1 percent"

Last edited:

ski9

Well, Dr. S., I certainly do appreciate the fact that you recycle and use a local landfill. It almost makes up for calling me Bozo.

Almost.

My taste would be more along the John Wayne Gacy-type of clown.

ski9

Wow, thanks, Dr. S.! If I ever get married again, that is definitely going to be my wedding song.

Trekchick

Wow!
I just read the last three pages of this thread and thought
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Not that I've never witnessed, or even participated in a thread hijack. I have and will, even enjoy a thread hijack from time to time, but this one has me scratching my head.
Way to harsh my mellow :(

Moe Ghoul

Originally Posted by ski9
My taste would be more along the John Wayne Gacy-type of clown.

Originally posted by Mildcat
You like raping and murdering young boys?

Oh, myy! Here is an example where being "edgy" failed for the comedian and the audience. Let's rework that material and make a fresh start of it........:)

Last edited:

Mildcat

Wow!
I just read the last three pages of this thread and thought
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Not that I've never witnessed, or even participated in a thread hijack. I have and will, even enjoy a thread hijack from time to time, but this one has me scratching my head.
Way to harsh my mellow :(

You're right, if I'm going to participate in a hijack I should at least do it more tastefully. I apologize.

Trekchick

Thread Hijacks are totally cool, but this one puzzled me.
Posting on the Throne to Using the phone on the throne, to phoning during sexcapades, I got!
How did it go from that to pollution from Jersey?
Not that it wasn't a perfectly good thread hijack, just that I am perplexed how it went that direction.

The new hijack, is about thread hijacks. :lol: