Hiking vs. Skiing - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Is BC skiing & touring, skiing or winter mountaineering? Is winter mountaineering skiing or hiking?

Is a winter attempt of Katahdin (the East's biggest & hardest winter trip) where you ski into Roaring Brook, snowshoe to Chimney Pond & Use ropes to ascend the peak, a ski trip, a winter hiking trip or winter mountaineering trip? IMO yes, to all three

When getting into BC & winter travel, their is a blurring of events.

To Emphasis the role of planning (no pun intended as the site I'm about to offer for an example is a financial planning site) I look at the Bernie Dahl's rescue a few years ago on Mt. Washington. He mentions he had climbed 2 of the 7 summits, major peaks in CO & elsewhere but IMO he needed a rescue based on bad decisions he made. At some point initially (I believe) he claimed to be a mountaineer, I don't know if that is still true. I argued he was a tourist who went on guided trips where the guides make all the decisions on going up or down, where to camp, when to turnaround, what is in your daypack & what do the porters carry etc.

Walking where you are told is easier than skiing, being responsible for yourself & others, telling them where to walk whether you need winter gear or might be in avalanches or crevasses is much different

Bernie Dahl's site is www.mtwashingtonmisadventure.com If I was selling financial planning I might call this Spam.
    Happy Trails, be safe & Good Luck
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P.
    Is BC skiing & touring, skiing or winter mountaineering? Is winter mountaineering skiing or hiking?

When getting into BC & winter travel, their is a blurring of events.
    OK point taken...when I refer to BC, I'm talking about hiking/touring, climbing (but without ropes in just about all cases), and skiing. You can argue that helicopters and snowcats are BC, but that's not what I was referring to when I compared it to hiking.

Looking at it from the opposite way, hiking can be anything from a nice walk on a carriage path to a fairly technical climb/rock scramble that may even involve a ladder or two. Hiking doesn't become rock climbing to me until ropes become an issue although I'm sure free climbers would not appreciate me calling that sport hiking and I don't mean to imply that.

So, to be specific when I compare hiking (based on a fairly strenous walk with some significant elevation gain that also involves ledges, slides, rock scrambles, and/or ladders) to BC skiing (based on a fairly strenous walk/tour/skin up a significant elevation gain that also involves ledges, slides, rock scrambles, steep snow covered slopes, crevasses, falling ice, and possible avalanches that culminates in a graceful set of turns down a steep slope), I think that BC skiing is a little more difficult and requires more planning and expertise.

Do you mean like the guys I see on Warren Miller commercials or worse, the guys trying to be like that?
    1.) I think their nuts, isn't some of that bungee jumping without the bungee (skier's version of free climbing but downhill)
    2.) I'd classify those guys as pending accident victims...

In both cases, the devil is in the details & planning, if you want to graduate (not that moderate trails at Bretton Woods or just hiking rail trails aren't fun, recreational, relaxing & exercise) to the higher levels in each, being fit & good planning is the main difference.

Climbing I'd say is harder than either with a zero margin for error in big mistakes.
    Happy Trails, be safe & Good Luck
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P.
    Do you mean like the guys I see on Warren Miller commercials or worse, the guys trying to be like that?
    1.) I think their nuts, isn't some of that bungee jumping without the bungee (skier's version of free climbing but downhill)
    2.) I'd classify those guys as pending accident victims...

In both cases, the devil is in the details & planning, if you want to graduate (not that moderate trails at Bretton Woods or just hiking rail trails aren't fun, recreational, relaxing & exercise) to the higher levels in each, being fit & good planning is the main difference.

Climbing I'd say is harder than either with a zero margin for error in big mistakes.
    My answer to your first question is no...Warren Miller stuff is not BC, that's Hollywood. I mean, some of it may be filmed BC, but there are alot of support services like helicopters on site that the common guy like me doesn't have; we have to pay extra for that stuff. Besides, I think it's funny that some folks think that Warren Miller stuff is spontaneous. It isn't. Most of those crazy cliff hucks have been planned and scoped out for months if not years in advance. Then, filming is done when conditions are optimal. Skiers like me don't have that luxury, so you won't often find me flying off of 50 foot+ cliff drops.

I totally agree that planning and good fitness are required for either hiking or skiing if one wants to graduate to more difficult hikes/lines. I'll add experience to that list too.

And I also agree that rock climbing makes both pale in comparison when it comes to difficulty and room for error.
    Last edited by JimG.; May 26, 2006 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG.
    My And I also agree that rock climbing makes both pale in comparison when it comes to difficulty and room for error.
    This guy makes it look easy. Unreal.

http://www.break.com/index/fastclimb.html
    People often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views. ---

Quote Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
    This guy makes it look easy. Unreal.

http://www.break.com/index/fastclimb.html
    Whoa...talk about extreme exposure.

No room for error there.

I love both ... but skiing
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I love both ... but skiing
    6.5 year bump, eh, Nick?

I do agree with you. IMHO, skiing is in an entirely different league.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Skiing for sure!!!

I find hiking to be a really good way to go up mountains, and skiing a really good way to go down them.

Thread Information