• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you ski and snowboard?

gmcunni

ski. tried boarding once. thought i had the hang of it on the bunny slope but found out i was wrong when i went up on the mountain. so black and blue the next day i can't even describe it.

crank

Both. Skied for 30 something years before trying boarding. I ski more and better than I board.

wintersyndrome

skied till i was about 13 and got sooooooooo board with it. so naturally i jumped on a board. still have my cert pass from stratton. 20 years later i am happy as can be.

Similar thing happened to me about 15 or 16 years back...ski all day without falling and going as fast as I could...also doing a lot of surfing and snowboarding I wanted to see what all this snowboarding thing was all about...I've been on Skis once since then

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skied exclusively until I was 10. Got a Burton Elite 150 snowboard, split tail, metal fin on the bottom and all in 1985. Only places in the east that allowed snowboarding at that time were Stratton and Magic. We were an Okemo pass holding family, but my folks took me to Magic a few times that winter to learn. As Hardline eluded to, you actually had to get certified to ride the lifts, the general skiing public was that afraid of the sport. The following winter Okemo started allowing board and I did it a few times, but at that age, I was kind of having a break through with my skiing in terms of being able to handle pretty much anything at Okemo, also really started digging bumps. I'd get out on the board and go down the lower intermediate trails and would be wanting to rip the expert runs on my skis.

Probably have gotten on a board a half dozen times since. I'm sure if I became as accomplished at snowboarding as I am skiing, I'd probably love it. Then again, I've never gotten bored skiing.....ever and doubt I ever will.

So, I guess the long of it, I'm just a skier :lol:

gladerider

skier for about 20 years then switched to snowboarding. been riding for about 3 now. having a hard time convincing myself to ski just once a year.

I just ski..I've only been on a snowboard at a sledding hill...I like facing down the mountain and don't want to begin a new sport..but I enjoying skiing with snowboarders..Anyway..snowboarding in powder looks sweet so I can't rule out becoming a knuckledragger one day but I'll always be a two planker wanker..

RichH

I probably ski 80%, board 20%. I started boarding as my knees would take a beating on a week away so it gave them a break mid-week. I know it will be skiing that will keep me interested until I'm too old to hit the slopes. The board is fun once in a while though.

If the conditions are icy or hard pack then the board stays at home. If I'm with someone who is more of a beginner / intermediate than the board may come out. If the resort has lots of flat sections then it will definitely stay at home.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I just ski..I've only been on a snowboard at a sledding hill...I like facing down the mountain and don't want to begin a new sport..but I enjoying skiing with snowboarders..Anyway..snowboarding in powder looks sweet so I can't rule out becoming a knuckledragger one day but I'll always be a two planker wanker..

well the way i ride my shoulders are square the fall line but thats because of my racing background and when i an in the air i am more sideways or else the board wants to follow my shoulders.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
50/50

I've been splitting my time 50/50 for the past ten years and sometimes do both the same day (note my avatar). My focus is on racing. Note: I rarely ride a softboot set up preferring carving boards.

Had pretty good luck on both skis and board at the NASTAR Nationals this past March.
15rnmsw.jpg

Here's a short video I put together of a snowboard gate training session we did last Friday. I'm the last racer (the 62 year old in the black helmet).

Glenn

I used to do both. I was on the hill four times a week in high school...in Western Mass. So the small hills kinda got boring after awhile. I had tried boarding a few times in junior high and finally pulled the trigger on a board in highschool. I'd race/practice ski during the week, board on the weekend. I boarded for a number of years, then sold my last board in college when I picked up a pair of those "parabolic" K2 El Caminos.

I still have my Burton Freestyle boots. I'm really kicking around picking up another used board just to play around. I'm a better skier than a boarder, but I can certainly hold my own on a board.

Boarding can be a lot of fun. I'm proud to say I can do both...and have experienced both.

Euler

Ski only, I'm going to start noodling around with Tele before boarding, I'm still loking for a super cheap backcountryset up.

Ballistic

Snowboard.

I skiied as a youngster here and there, but after a 13 year hiatus, decided to go try the board. I am tempted to try skiing again though.

rocojerry

I started off later in life on the mtn, played basketball during winters as a kid and coming from a large family with parents that didn't ski... it wasn't very economical for a ski trip even once a year......

So I started off ski'ng.... and snowboarding.... renting whatever gear I felt like that day..
I loved them both, and had a hard time taking the plunge one way or the other.... In the end it came down to entry cost, and boot comfort.... and as you can probably guess... snowboarding won.....

I pretty much rode for 5 years, but would occasionally ski still to mix it up.... I also tried some free tele demo days and the thought of climbing/skinning up and earning some fresh tracks has really started to appeal to me....

So this year, I've probably tele'd about 45% and snowboarded 55% -- and its really nice to open the mountains back up and enjoy green/blues again... If its deep, or I'm with a pretty hardcore crew I'll usually ride... But if its not a great edgeable snowboarding day, if I'm with a slower crew, or just at a mountain that isn't too exciting, I've been skiing and loving it...

I got to see MRG this year too... looking forward to a day where I can rip there -- but still a few seasons away :) Glad to hear about the people that have done/tried and even got good at both -- Skiers can make fun of knuckledraggers all they want, but I'll give you more props if you saw the light of snowboarding a deep powder day and ultimately went back to two sticks :)

SnowPlow

Skied very briefly, then gravitated to boarding (it was closer to slalom water-skiing which I had been doing for more than a decade before I tried snow skiing). Never put on a pair of snow skis since.

And, yeah, boarding through Powder is Sweet :)

rsf0000001

When I was a ski instructor back in the 90's there weren't enough snowboard instructors to meet demand so I learned to board in order to teach some snowboard lessons. I'm a lot better at skiing and haven't been on a snowboard in at least 10 years but I'm thinking that I might buy a board setup this summer. I love skiing but for day trips to the Poconos I've been finding that skiing is getting really boring and I'm hoping that a little variety will help make these little hills more exciting.

Knowing how to do both I can enjoy either. Since my favorite part of skiing is ripping through moguls or bumped up glades I'll probably never give up skiing.

Smellytele

Ski only, I'm going to start noodling around with Tele before boarding, I'm still loking for a super cheap backcountryset up.

I skied for 20 years then made the switch to tele because I was bored on the smaller hills. Now it is all I do. Tele is so much more fun in the powder as well.

try out this place for cheaper gear...
http://www.telemarkdown.com/