• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Picking the best riding conditions through a storm or the day after the storm for better conditions

abc

I am trying to Tailgate on my trip to Tahoe this year at Hotel room and Mountains. I am bringing a smallish clam shell camping stove on plane as a item "no fuel" allowed. This is Colemans($100) version of the Jet-boil Genesis 2 burner stove($300)
Tailgate and room cooking are two different requirements.

In room, no flame. So electrical cooking would work better (Think hot plate). But you won’t find an extension cord long enough to tailgate with that.

Outdoor cooking that doesn’t weight a ton and don’t take up a lot of space, backpacking stove is the obvious solution. The Coleman Jetboil is only a few oz and fits into your pant’s pocket! You can easily buy the fuel canister in any outdoor shop.

But… don’t you also have to bring cookware? That weights a whole lot more than the stove(s) and takes up a room and some!

djd66

Bringing a stove, cookware and food to your hotel room? Man, you guy would not like traveling with me and my family!

abc

Bringing a stove, cookware and food to your hotel room? Man, you guy would not like traveling with me and my family!
I travel alone (for skiing) a lot. So I have no others to please but myself.

And to pay for the room all by myself, the cost adds up. It’s just a simple matter of more skiing with SOME in-room cooking, vs eating out everyday and less skiing. The choice is clear to me. I’ve long figured out the sort of food I can prepare in the room that still taste good (again, to me).

When I travel with others, I’m only paying half of the room cost. That’s enough leftover to eat out. I won’t impose my quirky eating habit on others.

Let me be clear, I do eat out. Just not everyday. There’re other benefits besides financial when eating in. I don’t have to wait for tables. I don’t even have to put on any clothing. Straight out of the hot tub and dig in to the food in my bath rob! :) And I get to watch TV I like to watch, not just what’s showing on the screen of the bar/restaurant. Best part? The evening is one long relaxation session: first, libation; then food; then desert or more “fluid”…;) What‘s not to like? Seriously

Fact is, if I can score lodging with kitchen at similar cost as a hotel room? I ALWAYS go for the one with kitchen. I just love the flexibility, and the feeling of almost at home.

That said, I’ve never bring cookware/stove when I’m flying. I somehow doubt it’ll be cost effective with the luggage policy of the airlines in recent years.

Last edited: