• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skinning Mt Ellen

tjf67

Now that lifts have closed, what is the policy (if any) on skinning or hiking up Mt Ellen?

Worth the effort next week midweek? I.e., decent skiing to be had?

We'll be riding the lifts at Lincoln Peak for a couple of days but this could be a fun adventure.

Thanks. Pls PM if you'd rather not post.

Ok So would it be OK if you purchased a ticket to ski and then skinned up the closed are

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Ok So would it be OK if you purchased a ticket to ski and then skinned up the closed are

That probably wouldn't fly because there is no ski patrol on duty. Giving permission for you to hike and ski would mean that some liability is left on the resort.

The other reason is that the area is currently reserved for snowcat skiing.

I'm not giving any opinions, just posting the facts as I know them.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
It's all about liability and safety. Getting back to the OP, if Sugarbush allowed public access at Mt Ellen after it closes and someone skinned up and ran into a tree and broke their leg don't you realize that a lawsuit would be something Sugarbush and other business that operate on either public or private land would want to avoid. It's not rocket science, it's not just Sugarbush.

It didn't used to be like this but that's another thread.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The way I see it, Sugarbush can set whatever policy they like under their lease agreements and on their private land.

Want to skin up something after the lifts are closed? Go to Mansfield. it's that simple

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
It didn't used to be like this but that's another thread.

Yes, and it's not just about the company's operating philosophy. These decisions are driven by the actions of the public. 20 years ago, if someone skinned up and hit a tree on the way down, he would have likely passed it off as a stupid decision. Now, between money-hungry people, and insurance companies, a lawsuit is almost guaranteed. It's not the ski area, it's us. I'm not suggesting that anyone here would file a lawsuit, but you can't tell your insurance company not to seek damages. That's just not how it works. And there are plenty of people out there who WOULD press charges. Ridiculous, eh? But that's just the way it is now.

SRO is correct above.

tjf67

The way I see it, Sugarbush can set whatever policy they like under their lease agreements and on their private land.

Want to skin up something after the lifts are closed? Go to Mansfield. it's that simple

To be honest If I am going to skin up something it going to be something I can't get to on a lift or near to it off of a lift.

Its like hiking the whiteface trail and getting to the top and seeing all the fat people sitting up there.

the only time I skin the trails is early season when snomaking skiing is the only option.

ts01

Obviously opened up a can of worms. I appreciate everyone's responses. FWIW I won't be heading for Ellen that day.

ts01

Skinned MRG and had a GREAT time. No complaints. Thanks for the input everyone.