• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tucks conditions?

Skier75

Anyone have an idea of the conditions for just hiking up to the bowl for the coming weekend? We wanted to go last weekend, but because of the rain we opted not too.....now we just want to hike up to watch people, although I'll be a little jealous of not skiing myself, I just don't think I could carry all my stuff up there and ski too. This is my birthday weekend and if we don't do this, I'm not sure what we'll do....

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
tucks trail will be different on a daily basis but last weekend it was mostly snow, some ice. doable w/out crampons. the trail from HoJo's up to the bowl is also hikeable w/out traction...some rock, some snow. depending on temps, etc, you may want traction going from hojos to the bowl, but the TUX trail itself isn't steep enough to really need cramps. it may have some melted out sections by the weekend, too.

Skier75

Great, thanks! So do you think we need to bring stabilizers and/or snowshoes? We'd like to at least go up to the bowl area, maybe sit at/near lunch rocks.....

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Great, thanks! So do you think we need to bring stabilizers and/or snowshoes? We'd like to at least go up to the bowl area, maybe sit at/near lunch rocks.....

Not sure what stabalizers are, imagine they are those springs. If that's the case I'd go with that and poles. If you sit at lunch rocks, be mindful of falling ice conditions. There was one instance today where about 5-10 big chunks of ice came falling down all at once, at high speeds. If you do sit there make sure you sit near some big rocks and if you hear people yell, "Ice!" Don't waste time, get behind a rock and duck.Today their were tons of people falling down the bowl like rag dolls, never seen so many in one day. One guy broke his ski in two. It was nice bluebird skys when we got there today, then after a couple of hours clouds started moving in and it got pretty cold and started snow, So be prepared for cold.

Skier75

Stabalizers kinda look like teva's with screws on the bottom that just strap on your boots with velcro. Okay maybe lunch rocks may not be the best place to sit, where would be a better place? Never been there and I'd just like to be safe. Say how long does it take to hike up from Pinkham Notch anyways????

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Stabalizers kinda look like teva's with screws on the bottom that just strap on your boots with velcro. Okay maybe lunch rocks may not be the best place to sit, where would be a better place? Never been there and I'd just like to be safe. Say how long does it take to hike up from Pinkham Notch anyways????

Depend on you condition and speed. But, at a decent pace 2.5 hours. Worst part will be the part from Hojos to the floor of tux, steep snow covered and rocks. That's why I say stabalizers an poles instead of snow shoes, you wouldn't be able to use snow shoes in that area,

2Planker

Friday 4/10 Hike was good. Ravine was BULLETPROOF. Needs more time to fill in and soften up.

Will go again in 2-3 weeks

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Friday 4/10 Hike was good. Ravine was BULLETPROOF. Needs more time to fill in and soften up.

Will go again in 2-3 weeks

The lip was nice a soft yesterday, can't speak to other parts. People were stick to the lip left and right Gully yesterday. I did the Lip, boy is that one steep mutha!

Skier75

Definitely bring stabilicers or Katoohlas.

What are Katoohlas?

Well we made it up there today, man was it windy and snowing at least up at Hermit Shelter. Guess winter's still hanging on up there. I only went to the shelter, started up to the bowl, but my boots were giving me a hard time on my heals...darn boots. I used my boots from last year and forgot that they rubbed on my heals too much. I ended up putting bandaids and duct tape so I could hike back down. My hubby went up to the bottom of the bowl with the dog, while I stayed at the shelter area. :( Maybe next time. Man I haven't hiked since last fall and I'm a little sore. Can't believe it with all the skiing I've been doing this year, well they are different muscles......Oh, well I was happy to have at least gotten up to the shelter, that was pretty cool, my first time.

Now this summer we have to hike Washington as one of our 48, we're half way through them.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
What are Katoohlas?

Well we made it up there today, man was it windy and snowing at least up at Hermit Shelter. Guess winter's still hanging on up there. I only went to the shelter, started up to the bowl, but my boots were giving me a hard time on my heals...darn boots. I used my boots from last year and forgot that they rubbed on my heals too much. I ended up putting bandaids and duct tape so I could hike back down. My hubby went up to the bottom of the bowl with the dog, while I stayed at the shelter area. :( Maybe next time. Man I haven't hiked since last fall and I'm a little sore. Can't believe it with all the skiing I've been doing this year, well they are different muscles......Oh, well I was happy to have at least gotten up to the shelter, that was pretty cool, my first time.

Now this summer we have to hike Washington as one of our 48, we're half way through them.

I doubt it was too good up there anyway, Better luck next time.

smootharc

Hoping this Friday the 17th...

...will be a good one. Or I could just shop in Conway, right ?

dmc

2009-04-10%20annotated%20dodges%20photo2.JPG

taul

http://www.tuckerman.org/avalanche/index.html

For those that have done tuck in the past, what are the best conditions like?
As far as weather forecast -- what is ideal to see?

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/ is where to start for weather up there, specifically the Auto Road Vertical Profile and Higher Summits Forecast. Things can be 50 and sunny in Jackson, but 15 and windy as all hell up top.

I went yesterday and it was perfect, below freezing at night, just above as the day warmed up and the sun did it's thing. If it's not sunny it's gotta be above freezing. Even if it is, shadows get cast over the bowl earlier then you'd think and stuff hardens before you know it.