• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lodging in Summit County CO?

RISkier

Where do folks stay when skiing at Arapahoe Basin and/or Summit County CO? Looking at maybe going to that area this year. Thanks.

chadr2

Lodging

I am biased towards Frisco.

Call Paul at The Mountains USA. He runs a booking service here and can give you the run down on places, prices, and passes too. His # is 970-668-8507, this is his web link http://www.themountainsusa.com/

PM me if you'd like more info. -Chad

RENO

Dillon, Frisco and Silverthorne for reasonably priced hotels. Stayed at Super8, Quality Inn and suites, Alpine Inn, Luxury Inn and Suites. Super8 is reasonable and clean...
For a condo we stayed at the Gateway Lodge at the base of Keystone for less than $600 for 1 week this past season. right down the road to abasin. Can't get lodging any closer to abasin...
http://keystone.snow.com/info/mtnhouse.gateway.asp
Check here to rent direct from the actual owners in most cases for a lot less than going through the resort...
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/colorado/northwest/keystone#a8274

snoseek

I like Georgetown because it is cheap, close, and is completely different than the Summit County experience.....Georgetown is pretty quiet with a half dozen good restaurant/bars.

Going for the full vacation experience I would choose Frisco because there are a couple of good bars and a semi-real town....sort of. As a town Breckenrige is kind of fun too but probably a half hour from A basin.

Altitude at all these towns could really make sleeping/exertion tough. Some people get through it just fine-others struggle. What's the highest area you have been to?

trtaylor

Altitude at all these towns could really make sleeping/exertion tough. Some people get through it just fine-others struggle. What's the highest area you have been to?

Not to hijack the thread, but myself, my son and son-in-law all live at less than 100' elevation. One week prior to leaving for Colorado, we started a regimen of 120 mg, 2 times daily, of ginkgo biloba. We did not ski the day we arrived, but hit up a Nuggets game and spent the first night in Denver. The next morning we headed to Loveland and spent the remainder of the time in Frisco.

We skied Loveland, A-Basin and Copper. None of us were bothered by altitude sickness, beyond very mild headaches at the end of the day. And Advil took care of those.

skiadikt

you can't beat reno's price but we've stayed in the town of frisco for years. good restaurants etc. centrally located to about a half dozen ski areas including a-basin and even vail & beaver creek if you like. we've stayed at the riverglen condos. bighorn realty 800-826-7706 can hook you you up.

RISkier

Thanks for the suggestions. We were thinking Frisco looked pretty good. We have used VRBO in the past. Kind of a long story but we own a time share, decided we'd try to swap for a week out West, and about the only place that worked was in Vail. Vail is not a place we've looked at much because of the price, but with the time share swap it won't be so bad. So we're planning to go to Vail. Then we started looking at lift tickets and YIKES. But, they are offering a no restrictions$599 annual pass good at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, and Heavenly. We're really thinking about a 2nd trip in March. I think we'd really like A-Basin. The altitude does concern us. The highest we've slept was Park City which is somewhere in the 6800-7000 ft range. For the Vail trip we're thinking of flying into Denver in the evening and spending the night. Then driving up to Vail and taking it pretty easy the first day. As we get further along in planning I may pm a few of you. Thanks again for the tips.

snoseek

Vail is also a lower in elevation than Summit. I absolutely love A-Basin but will readily admit after a couple days its time to move on for variety, So having that pass would be a good way to try different areas.

skiadikt

also depending on how many days you plan to ski, you might want to look into getting an a-basin bonus season pass. we used to do it all the time. in addition to a-basin, you get 5 days at either keystone or breckenridge, one of which can be used at either vail or beaver creek. it even includes discounts on food & beverage and an unguided day at silverton.

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/tickets/season-passes.aspx

filejw

All of the above plus Idaho Springs, cheaper than the other towns but OK 2 star hotels...