Mahoosuc Notch NH, An Unfortunate Trip Report, 7/15/09 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Crazy story. Sounds as though you were very fortunate to encounter your "trail saints" and rescue crew. Be well. Focus on healing, don't try to hurry it along. Good to see you are well enough to share your adventure.

Nashoba 1/5 2/7|Sunapee 1/8|Pico 1/21|Butternut 1/28|Jiminy Peak 1/29|Wildcat 2/10|Bretton Woods 2/11|Gore 3/2|West 3/3|Catamount 3/4|Ragged 3/10|Burke 3/11|Bromley 3/18

Jeez, Bill, I am glad that you will be alright! Sorry this happened!
    Screw My Car, My Body Climbed Mount Washington!

www.SKiNE.net

Camera

Thanks guys. Here are a couple google maps images with the GPS track overlaid. Where the blue line ceases is where i bit it. The short cliff runs up the sides were scouts looking for a helicopter rescue spot (none).

Looking SW - Berlin NH is 13 miles out.

Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlenut View Post
    Good Luck, Bill! And take it easy until ski season!!
    10-4! the docs already cleared me for ski season (optimistically). Between now and then however, no falling. The nurse was heading out to do some kayaking Saturday. I was in with the "right crowd" up there!
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

so did you have the pleasure of hoping in the tube to get a brain MRI? I had the pleasure myself a few weeks ago. I'm not claustorphobic, but it was an odd sensation

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    so did you have the pleasure of hoping in the tube to get a brain MRI? I had the pleasure myself a few weeks ago. I'm not claustorphobic, but it was an odd sensation
    Two Cat scans, one MRI. Up there there it's a portable MRI on a tractor trailer, moves between hospitals. You have to go outside to get to the MRI. I just close my eyes. The MRI when it's idle sounds just like our clothes washing machine!

The one I was in made all sorts of racket. But the tech was easy on the eyes, so that was nice after spending 45 minutes in the tube.

DAMN! That is a crazy experience, glad your OK Bill, the notch is a bitch for sure, if I had been alone hiking it 4 years ago I would still there, snow collapsed and I went in a hole with no bottom (backpack got hung up) - hoping for a quick recovery for you

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom-tele View Post
    the notch is a bitch for sure, if I had been alone hiking it 4 years ago I would still there, snow collapsed and I went in a hole with no bottom
    THAT is freaking scary. I can easily see how that can happen. The S&R lead is right, the notch leaves an impression on every hiker, one way or another. Even though most people make it safely through, there isn't much margin between you and disaster. The locals fear it's going to become "discovered" and popular. I don't think so. Keep sending them to Mt. Washington, please!

Shit dude, I'm glad you're ok.

Thread Information