• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should Resorts Open on Christmas Day????

Would you open your ski area on Christmas Day????

• Yes. More money, more money, more money!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, gotta take care of the guests.

• I'd open late to be nice to my employees

• No, we'd close to give the employees a holiday.

• I'd never get into the ski industry.

• Other (explain).

• Total voters

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've noticed that different places address it differently. Burke opens at noon on that day. Pats is closed. Many of the bigger places are in fact open earlier. Seems kinda wrong IMHO. Should be a day of rest, but then again, these places have a lot of holiday skiers, so maybe compromise by having a late opening.

freeheelwilly

Of course, if it makes good business sense. Isn't that week when most resorts "make or break" for the year? What are you gonna tell the Feingolds or the Schwartzes that you lured up that week? Sorry but we're closed for Christmas. I think not. Not everybody celebrates Christmas and even among those who do, they may want to celebrate by going skiing.

Vortex

I think they have to be open if they have lodging owned by the same company as the ski area.

It is the hospitality industry.

I worked Christmas/Thankxsgiving/New Years Day/ when I worked in the Industry. The folks that worked got some form of extra compensation and we took care of the people with kids... staggered shifts. Families got to do the tree with the kids in the morning.

Having a shorter day or later opening does sounds like a good idea.

dmc

Christmas day skiing is awesome!!! What better way to celebrate!!! Then party into the night!!

Sky

I was tempted to say CLOSED. But then I thought (re-read the question) and if I owned the resrt...I'd offer incentives to employees to work the 1/2 day.

I agree that the two "days (CD/NYD) are great times to me on snow for lack of crowds.

SKIQUATTRO

open. maybe a delayed opening, but alot of families do travel to ski resorts to be together and ski. NYD is a great day to ski, there are 300+ other days of the year to drink and be hungover, keep it light on NYE and have the slopes to your self NYD!!

shenty

I asked this question to the GM at Sunapee last year and his words were "Once we open for the season we don't close until the snow melts"

We always ski on Christmas day. It gets us out of the house after the morning kaos, and no lift lines. I suggested to my wife that, if we have time, we make a bunch of cookies for the lift operators (we'll see if we actually have the time).

bvibert

Staff member
I say it depends on the ski area. If its a destination resort then you're pretty obligated to open for your guests. If I ran a smaller local place I'd probably open in the afternoon or evening if I had night skiing.

Zand

Night skiing areas have a bit of an advantage. For example, Wachusett opens at 4 PM on Christmas Day.

dmc

Hunter is owned by a Jewish family... So I'm saying they probably never even consider being closed.. Plus - I'm not 100% sure but i think most resort employees only get paid for thee time they work.. So if a mountain closes... Employees could be losing $$

To me skiing is a Christmas tradition... We always used to ski Christmas afternoon back in the day..

Big Game

Close, that the dumbest thing. I mean what are people doing on Christmas anyway? What like maybe 15% of Christians go to church?

The way I worship the father sun and holy ghost is by not making myself miserable being couped up inside for something that feels so fake.

I think it would be nice to give the mployees a little something extra.

Most of the employees are buims anyway and have no interest in taking the day off to rot away in fornt of the tube watching Star Wars.

skibum1321

I would definitely be open, it just makes good business sense. Plus, as pointed out, not everyone is Catholic and those that are celebrate in a variety of ways. I would try to be accomodating to employees, of course.

SkiDog

thetrailboss said:
Many of the bigger places are in fact open earlier. Seems kinda wrong IMHO. Should be a day of rest, but then again, these places have a lot of holiday skiers, so maybe compromise by having a late opening.

Just a thought...not EVERYONE celebrates XMAS....ever think of that? I do, but am floored that some think its a NATIONAL holiday...its not..its purely religious..hence the reason som of these places open..if I took a minute to think about it i'd probably be angry that EVERYTHING closes due to a religious holiday..what do the people that aren't that religion do? We dont close everything down for Passover or Chanukka? Why xmas...

By the way I am catholic by unbringing...

Just my .02..

M

thetrailboss

Staff member
SkiDog said:
thetrailboss said:
Many of the bigger places are in fact open earlier. Seems kinda wrong IMHO. Should be a day of rest, but then again, these places have a lot of holiday skiers, so maybe compromise by having a late opening.

Just a thought...not EVERYONE celebrates XMAS....ever think of that? I do, but am floored that some think its a NATIONAL holiday...its not..its purely religious..hence the reason som of these places open..if I took a minute to think about it i'd probably be angry that EVERYTHING closes due to a religious holiday..what do the people that aren't that religion do? We dont close everything down for Passover or Chanukka? Why xmas...

Just my .02..

M

FYI Christmas is a national holiday. The government does not open. No mail, no courts, etc, etc.

SkiDog

thetrailboss said:
SkiDog said:
thetrailboss said:

Just my .02..

M

FYI Christmas is a national holiday. The government does not open. No mail, no courts, etc, etc.

My point is it shouldnt be...seperation of church and state and all....it doesnt seem right. Thanks though..like I didnt know all that... :)

M

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hmmm...seems like the tenor of this thread is not going the way that I thought it would... :roll: I'm not advocating a religious point of view, just a question.

Some have said, "not everyone celebrates Christmas," and that's fine. I did not say everyone did. No offense intended.

It's just that there are some days that our society does not open for--government and Wall Street, etc aren't open on Saturday or Sundays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's are also days that things are not usually open. I was just asking what you thought about Christmas.

I agree with Bob R's POV that the ski industry has become the 'hospitality' industry and that they must cater to their guests.

kcyanks1

thetrailboss said:
I've noticed that different places address it differently. Burke opens at noon on that day. Pats is closed. Many of the bigger places are in fact open earlier. Seems kinda wrong IMHO. Should be a day of rest, but then again, these places have a lot of holiday skiers, so maybe compromise by having a late opening.

Many people (including me) don't observe Christmas, so it's just like any other day. I realize a majority of the employees at ski areas might observe it, and it is unfortunate for those who are stuck working that day, but I don't think a non-religious entity should close on a religious holiday. The ski areas should open like any other day.

SkiDog

thetrailboss said:
Hmmm...seems like the tenor of this thread is not going the way that I thought it would... :roll: I'm not advocating a religious point of view, just a question.

Some have said, "not everyone celebrates Christmas," and that's fine. I did not say everyone did. No offense intended.

It's just that there are some days that our society does not open for--government and Wall Street, etc aren't open on Saturday or Sundays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's are also days that things are not usually open. I was just asking what you thought about Christmas.

I agree with Bob R's POV that the ski industry has become the 'hospitality' industry and that they must cater to their guests.

Just so you know I was offended in no way shape or form...just thought i'd put the thought out there as others have...

Lets just ski...the more days the better.

M

catskills

Christmas is for family time. Shut down the internet on Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I don't think anything should be opened on Christmas day except maybe hopitals, police, and emergency services. Spend the time with the family. Get to know each other.

I don't like shopping on Sundays either. I figure I don't want to force others to work on Sunday so I don't shop on Sundays. I believe NJ stores are closed on Sundays which is vey cool.

A few years ago in Germany the stores were only opened on Saturday until 1pm. They closed on Sundays. Also midweek they were closed after 6pm.