• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

vBulletin Feedback Thread

Are the forums better since the vBulletin upgrade?

• Yes, the vBulletin version is much better!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, I preferred phpBB.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Don't really care as long as I can post...

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
andyzee said:
How do you get smilies into your post, other then typing in the keystrokes. I don't see the graphical choice you used to have with phpBBS.
Go to User CP --> Edit Options. Scroll to the bottom and change your Message Editor Interface to use Enhanced Interface. Along with clickable smilies, you get full WYSIWYG functionality.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
Go to User CP --> Edit Options. Scroll to the bottom and change your Message Editor Interface to use Enhanced Interface. Along with clickable smilies, you get full WYSIWYG functionality.
You can also get them using the Standard Editor and not have the WYSIWYG crap.

NYDrew

can you revive the old thread icons. You know, the ones that tell you if there are new posts, or hot thread, locked etc. I find the new ones confusing and the old ones were very clear.

KISS - the new ones are just way too complex in design

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
NYDrew said:
can you revive the old thread icons. You know, the ones that tell you if there are new posts, or hot thread, locked etc. I find the new ones confusing and the old ones were very clear.
agreed. vBulletin Board has always had several items i have always found annoying. while the functionality and stability are light years better, the phpBB visual presentation is SO much better than vBB.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
NYDrew said:

Agreed, the icons are kind of confusing.

Greg

Staff member
NYDrew said:

I agree. It's on the list. I plan to change the icons to make things a bit more clear.

Greg

Staff member
andyzee said:
Did find one useful thing about the new ones, the fact that they show which threads you posted in.
I replaced the thread icons with some new simpler ones. I still kept icons that tell you which threads you posted in (checkmark). What I liked about the phpBB icons is new threads were easy to identify as they were orange. I kept this approach. I applied a "noise" filter for "hot" threads (ones with more than 15 replies). I think these are closer to the phpBB approach. Thoughts?

NYDrew

New problem with the vbul, all the time stamps are wrong. we got posts from today listed as 2:00PM. Dude, its only 9:53AM!!! So either this system is so great it can forsee postings, or houston has a big problem.

Also turn off autosmilies, i tried to write 2 : x x (spaces added to preven happy faces, xx to indicate I dont remember the minutes).

On the whole supernatural forum format, can you rig this thing to make it snow in the real world?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
btw, :beer: to greg for all the small edits and changes that have been made. i usually find vBulletin to be quite ugly, but with the exception of the header options bar over the forum, this is actually looking quite nice and very similar to the old format of the phpBB forum. cheers!

bvibert

Staff member
NYDrew said:
New problem with the vbul, all the time stamps are wrong. we got posts from today listed as 2:00PM. Dude, its only 9:53AM!!! So either this system is so great it can forsee postings, or houston has a big problem.

Also turn off autosmilies, i tried to write 2 : x x (spaces added to preven happy faces, xx to indicate I dont remember the minutes).

On the whole supernatural forum format, can you rig this thing to make it snow in the real world?

As Steve said about the time, change the Time Zone in your User CP under Options.

As for the smilies, you have the option of checking the check-box "Disable smilies in text" when posting a message.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can help you on the snow.

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
btw, :beer: to greg for all the small edits and changes that have been made. i usually find vBulletin to be quite ugly, but with the exception of the header options bar over the forum, this is actually looking quite nice and very similar to the old format of the phpBB forum. cheers!
I agree on all counts!

Good work Greg! :beer: