• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another bad move: Drinking and skiing?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I would say Vermont is one of the laxest states in the nation with regards to DWI. Repeat offenders historically get a slap on the wrist. There was a guy in St. Albans about 10 years ago who was working on his 17th DWI. He should have been behind bars for years. Instead, I think they ruled he needed to live near (walking distance) the bar or something ridiculous like that. So if they've gotten overzealous it's a recent development.

In terms of actual alcohol rules in a bar, however, Vermont is completely moronic. They dont serve "real" pitchers, your drink cant go beyond X% alcohol, you cant have 2 drinks in front of you at the same time, etc... etc.... Their rules are beyond dumb.

Multiple DUI punishment is a joke in VT. Law enforcement come after the provider of the alcohol far more agressively than the person making bad decisions. Personal accountability doesn't mean much these days. :sad:

According to one of the articles, these guys were staying at the Alpine Haven resort and not an on Mtn condo. That is very enlightening as I try to figure out how these guys got lost. The guy that said they could cut through the woods on a snowmobile trail is an idiot :dunce:. It is close to a full mile "as the crow flies" from the Tram House to Inglenook. Not wise to do that as it is starting to get dark and snow is falling.

Last edited:

Geezer

Quote from the article:

"Mason said he witnessed the emergency room staff attempt to warm Eichorst’s body with blankets and warm saline infusions and finally they cut his chest open and poured warm saline into the cavity.

“I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes,” he said. “They heated the saline in a microwave and poured it into his body.”"

This would tend to contribute to the hangover the next morning...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Multiple DUI punishment is a joke in VT. Law enforcement come after the provider of the alcohol far more agressively than the person making bad decisions. Personal accountability doesn't mean much these days. :sad:

While I agree, they go after the businesses very hard, I wouldn't necessarily say that multiple DUI punishment is a joke.

A local ski bum I knew in Stowe got caught twice. Penalty for the 2nd one was an 18 month license suspension and his probation didn't allow him in any establishments that served alcohol for that period of time.

I knew another idiot who got popped three times and lost his license for 5 years.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
While I agree, they go after the businesses very hard, I wouldn't necessarily say that multiple DUI punishment is a joke.

A local ski bum I knew in Stowe got caught twice. Penalty for the 2nd one was an 18 month license suspension and his probation didn't allow him in any establishments that served alcohol for that period of time.

I knew another idiot who got popped three times and lost his license for 5 years.

IMHO the current punishment for the first DUI is fine. The punishment for the 2nd is passable. However, serial DUI offenders (3+ convictions) need to start spending time in jail. For a lot of these guys, the license suspension means nothing because they go ahead and drive regardless. :roll:
But that is enough politics from me...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
DHS is right about strict VT laws penalizing the server. In my short time in VT, I knew three people that got into trouble for what sounded like boarder line calls. Complete lack of responsibility for the person getting into a car when the server faces harsher treatment. If its that bad to drive to a bar and drink, the state should make bars illegal. Oops, been there, done that. Hate that lack of personal responsibility crap.

Back to the topic at hand.... THREE BEERS. This is clearly not Jay's fault. Bad judgment by the party not using the shuttle service provided as their friend did. Seems like there is conflicting media reporting regarding a condo or off mountain lodging. I can't believe a Jay employee would recommend a snow mobile trail. Something still seems off. We'll probably never know all the facts here. Seems like the biggest issue here is not calling for help sooner. Or turning around. Or just not making a silly decision in the first place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The law does state Jail is possible, but you are right in that they rarely enforce it. I know the kid who got popped twice spend a week in jail. Not sure about the guy with three. I do know at least in Stowe the cops are all about catching people for DUI. They'll mark tires in the parking lot of local bars and pull over anyone whose been in the bar for a certain period of time.

A quick google search turned up this for the multiple conviction penalties:

Second Vermont DUI Offense
2nd Drunk Driving Conviction
Jail - Up to 2 Years Maximum
License Suspension – 18 Months
Fine - $1,500 Maximum
DUI Surcharges $160 Minimum
Community Service – 200 Hours Minimum, or
60 Consecutive Hours of Imprisonment Minimum Must be served
License Reinstatement Dependent on:
Complete Alcohol and Driving Rehabilitation Program
Third Vermont DUI Offense

3rd Drunk Driving Conviction
Jail – 5 Years Maximum
License Suspension – Life*
*License May Be Restored After 3 Years of Total Abstinence from the Consumption of Drugs and Alcohol, $500 Application Fee Required.
Fine - $2,500 Maximum
DUI Surcharges $160 Minimum
Subject to Forfeiture of Vehicle
Community Service – 400 Hours or,
1000 Consecutive Hours of Imprisonment Minimum Must be served

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
More color

Hey all--thought I'd share what I know-at least what's appropriate given the circumstances.

The folks involved were staying at the Inglenook and were dropped off at the resort in the am for a day of skiing. One of the innkeepers had mentioned there was a way back to the 'Nook, via the golf course, and gave, apparently, vague directions on how to do so.

The gentleman in question had 3 beers served by our Tower Bar staff over the course of 90 minutes, then left. Camera records verify this as well as bar receipts. He appeared fine when he landed and when he left.

The same inn-keeper arrived to pick up the crew to bring them home; only two decided to ride, the others thought they'd have at it and ski back.

Hoping this turns out well and, consecutive and connected bad decisions aside, we're all pulling for him up this way.

If we hear anything worth sharing, we certainly will.

steve