• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mount snow to install a bubble 6 pack next year!

legalskier

....to be replaced with a new leitner-poma bubble six pack!

Every time I see "bubble chair" I think of the old one at Vernon Valley, the one that got so scratched on the inside from ski pole tips that you couldn't see out of it any more.
4b9a6bbd218d2.jpg

(I seem to recall Windham had one too.) Can you imagine- they went from a bubble chair to the Cabriolet gondola...I don't know which one's worse, lol!

Looks like yours will be a larger version:
mount-snow-6pack-bubble-1.jpg

I sure hope it's scratch-proof!
:razz:

Ice Queen

I rode one in Austria, but that one had heated seats too. No kidding. The weather at the time was beautiful so the bubble was totally unnecessary, but it was cool. They need to get one of these to replace the Quad at Stowe, that ride can be hellish when it's windy or there's ice forming on the outside of everyone's goggles. I'm so glad Mt. Snow is doing this -- they're setting the bar higher than any other New England resort with this one!

Rambo

I rode one of those in Switzerland, they are really nice, will be appreciated on cold windy Vermont days.

Good Luck... seems everytime it gets windy, it will be put on wind-hold and the bubble looks like it will be a huge wind catcher.

drjeff

Good Luck... seems everytime it gets windy, it will be put on wind-hold and the bubble looks like it will be a huge wind catcher.

Different, lower lift line it will be following than the Grand Summit with the Summit Lodge acting as a big wind screen at the top, and as it unloads, instead of unloading straight like the grand summit does, you'll unload essentially 1/2 way around the "bull wheel" (if there was one for the unloaded portion of a detachable) and the folks getting off the new lift will be facing the summit terminal of the Grand Summit.

Also, these bubble chairs are HEAVY, which will help in the wind too.

This lift has been a couple of years in the research and fact finding phase on Mount Snow's part, and they've had engineers + reps from both Leitner-Poma and Doplymayr-Ctec on site during the bidding process. The Mount Snow management many times has said that they wouldn't be putting in a new signature lift with a big price tag if they weren't completely sure that it would be able to safely run in most winds.

SIKSKIER

The seats are't going to be heated, so power is a non issue

Huh?A non issue?I know MS won't have heated seats but they are available and I was asking if anybody knew how they got their power.I'm sure its similar to K-marts heated gondola but I don't know how that works.I see a cable on the photo above but that looks like it might lift the bubble and not be electrical.Anybody?

Last edited:

x10003q

Every time I see "bubble chair" I think of the old one at Vernon Valley, the one that got so scratched on the inside from ski pole tips that you couldn't see out of it any more.
4b9a6bbd218d2.jpg

(I seem to recall Windham had one too.) Can you imagine- they went from a bubble chair to the Cabriolet gondola...I don't know which one's worse, lol!

I think they converted the Vernon Valley bubble chair to a regular chair in the 1970s. I think it was painted blue.

I read that they wind tunnel test these bubble chairs.

mtsnowfish

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Huh?A non issue?I know MS won't have heated seats but they are available and I was asking if anybody knew how they got their power.I'm sure its similar to K-marts heated gondola but I don't know how that works.I see a cable on the photo above but that looks like it might lift the bubble and not be electrical.Anybody?

I asked the same thing as I was curious when we were looking at our bubble chair options. The seats are heated when the chairs come back into the terminal. There is an electric charge that goes to the chair while they are off the haul rope. The seats are heated then and only then. When you sit down your body heat contains the heat on the chair and the bubble helps to contain the heat within.

We thought it was a bit unnecessary for VT and I for one don't like swamp a$$. :p

Newpylong

I asked the same thing as I was curious when we were looking at our bubble chair options. The seats are heated when the chairs come back into the terminal. There is an electric charge that goes to the chair while they are off the haul rope. The seats are heated then and only then. When you sit down your body heat contains the heat on the chair and the bubble helps to contain the heat within.

We thought it was a bit unnecessary for VT and I for one don't like swamp a$$. :p

LOL. Too funny...

Ice Queen

I don't think they're necessary anywhere, really. I can't ever remember my ass being cold on a chairlift. It's more the wind that gets into the tiny crevice between my goggles and helmet when the wind is whipping that bums me out. No pun intended.

SIKSKIER

Thanks so much for the explanation.The only thing I could find was that some of the other heated cabins looked they they might have used batteries.Sounded unlikely but I was curious.The only time I wished for heated seats was while sitting on ice covered chairs.I don't see the need in your case either since they will be stored every night.Thanks again.