• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2 ft at Wildcat!

ctenidae

Ever since the Halloween opening a few years ago, and despite the fact that that's the only time I've ever skied there, Wildcat is one of my absolute favorite moutains, in a purely subjective and feel-good kind of way.

Cheese

Ever since the Halloween opening a few years ago, and despite the fact that that's the only time I've ever skied there, Wildcat is one of my absolute favorite moutains, in a purely subjective and feel-good kind of way.

The view is top 3 in NH I believe with the competition being Bretton Woods overlooking the other side of Washington and Gunstock overlooking Winnipesaukee.

Angus

trick for Wildcat, Saddleback, Sugarloaf and lesser extent Sunday River will be to survive Friday's rain/snow event. the spine of greens could be in for a fare amount of snow. the 2,000' base elevation helped the Wildcat big time - although I think it did mix or change on the lower part of mountain.

speden

2ft of snow and they still have a lot of closed trails and talk about restarting snowmaking on Friday. I guess natural snow is lousy for building a base.

ScottySkis

2ft of snow and they still have a lot of closed trails and talk about restarting snowmaking on Friday. I guess natural snow is lousy for building a base.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Depends on if it was light powder not good for base and if the wind blew a lot of it off the trails.

Cornhead

Skiing to the view of George and Tucks is worth the price of admission. I've been twice, brought my binoculars the last time. I sat in the lodge watching the skiers in the bowl at lunch. The high speed summit chair is nice too, the place still retains an old school vibe even so. Has anyone skied there when they had a gondola? When was it removed? Replaced by the quad, I assume. It's hard to believe Wildcat is a 4,000 ft mountain when viewed from Mt. Washington. It looks pretty small from that vantage point. Wildcat's base is at 2,000 ft however. It isn't a steep mountain.

Enjoy, those who can, I'd be happy with some consistently cold temps at this point. It's almost January for chripes sake.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The view is top 3 in NH I believe with the competition being Bretton Woods overlooking the other side of Washington and Gunstock overlooking Winnipesaukee.
I'd say the only competition for Wildcat is Cannon. Personally, I like the up close and hulking feel of the Franconia Ridge better than the distance massiveness of Washington. Though that is just me, if I was to recommend only one mountain for a first timer to NH skiing, I'd probably go with the Cat.

Smellytele

Skiing to the view of George and Tucks is worth the price of admission. I've been twice, brought my binoculars the last time. I sat in the lodge watching the skiers in the bowl at lunch. The high speed summit chair is nice too, the place still retains an old school vibe even so. Has anyone skied there when they had a gondola? When was it removed? Replaced by the quad, I assume. It's hard to believe Wildcat is a 4,000 ft mountain when viewed from Mt. Washington. It looks pretty small from that vantage point. Wildcat's base is at 2,000 ft however. It isn't a steep mountain.

Enjoy, those who can, I'd be happy with some consistently cold temps at this point. It's almost January for chripes sake.

The gondola was an adventure. They were nicknamed the jellybeans - shaped and the color of bright Easter eggs. They were very tight for 2 people.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sweet!

I had contemplated Sugarloaf for tomorrow, but bagged it because I just wasn't feeling the drive. Had planned on just heading to Gunstock and grabbing my pass. Looks like I'm heading to Wildcat instead. :daffy:

Cornhead

You wouldn't know if I had hair because I would have been sporting a bright colored pom pom hat!
So you've ridden the gondi at Wildcat? Were they tiny cars? I see Gore's old cars around town when I ski there, they are small. Are any businesses in the area using Wildcat's old cars for decorations?

I had a pom pom hat too, it was way before I started skiing. Probably did some sledding with it on.

Smellytele

So you've ridden the gondi at Wildcat? Were they tiny cars? I see Gore's old cars around town when I ski there, they are small. Are any businesses in the area using Wildcat's old cars for decorations?

I had a pom pom hat too, it was way before I started skiing. Probably did some sledding with it on.

Yes there are a few hanging around at some businesses. I think the Moat brewpub has one.

skiNEwhere

Has anyone skied there when they had a gondola? When was it removed?

I haven't skied there since they installed the HSQ in 1997. The old gondola with its easter eggs really felt like a part of wildcat, I can't imagine Wildcat now with the HSQ. But like I said I haven't been there since they removed the gondola.

SIKSKIER

Sweet!

I had contemplated Sugarloaf for tomorrow, but bagged it because I just wasn't feeling the drive. Had planned on just heading to Gunstock and grabbing my pass. Looks like I'm heading to Wildcat instead. :daffy:
I can understand the drive factor but the open terrain is not even close.70 acres to 465.The loaf is the lpace to be right now.

MadMadWorld

It fit 2 average size people if you were lucky. It had rust holes in the floor like my grandmothers old buick. Tons of graffiti and butt burns everywhere. But like people have mentioned, it had lots of character and I miss it dearly.

Cannonball

It fit 2 average size people if you were lucky. It had rust holes in the floor like my grandmothers old buick. Tons of graffiti and butt burns everywhere. But like people have mentioned, it had lots of character and I miss it dearly.

I'm not sure if those were rust holes since they were made out of paper mache. At least that's what they seemed like....