• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 Closings

Zand

Still in shock how much more Okemo has open than Killington right now. 13 trails at K, 30 something at Okemo.

skizoo

Still in shock how much more Okemo has open than Killington right now. 13 trails at K, 30 something at Okemo.

Ahh no, don't believe the numbers, Okemo has maybe 5 or 6 real trails open and they are in horrendous shape. They're only open to get them through the Festevol weekend, if they can even make it til Sunday

Tooth

Posted on Facebook about a half hour ago...

With the record heat this week, there have been a lot of questions about our operating plans going forward, and potential closing dates. To help answer these questions, we want to share an email from our General Manager that went out to our staff this afternoon:

"All,

Even with all of the strange weather we’ve seen this winter, this week has been truly exceptional. As I write this email, the temperature on the thermometer reads 72 degrees, making it the third straight day we’ve been in the 70s. Even our elevation, which typically helps us keep snow later than most resorts, has worked against us this week – at 7:30 this morning the temperature in Kingfield was 39 degrees, while the temperature at the top of Skyline was 58. We’ve never seen weather like this, and I know this has raised some questions among all of you regarding our operating plans going forward.

While I can’t say with any certainty what the weather has in store for us over the next month, I can assure you of this: we are the King of Spring, and we will do whatever it takes to keep skiing, and to deliver a great experience to our guests. Going forward, our plan is to remain open at least through Reggae weekend (April 14-15), and for as long after that as snow holds out.

Clearly our snowpack and open terrain have taken a substantial hit during this week’s record heat. Our latest forecasts are calling for cooler, more seasonable temperatures to return this weekend, and our grooming crew will do their best to put things back together. If the weather pattern changes and we receive enough snow, our Ski Patrol will be ready to reopen closed terrain. If temperatures get cold enough, we have not ruled out firing up our snowmaking system again. And even if this record-breaking heat returns and makes skiing impossible, Reggae Fest will go on as scheduled.

We have no intentions of throwing in the towel yet, and I’d like to thank you all in advance for helping us communicate that commitment to all of our guests.

As you all know well, April can be (and typically is) a snowy month here in the mountains. In fact, over the past five years, we’ve seen an average of 2.5 feet of April snow, including 95 inches in April of 2007.

We don’t think Mother Nature has given up on winter yet, and neither have we.

Sincerely,

John Diller"

Edd

With the record heat this week, there have been a lot of questions about our operating plans going forward, and potential closing dates. To help answer these questions, we want to share an email from our General Manager that went out to our staff this afternoon:

"All,

Even with all of the strange weather we’ve seen this winter, this week has been truly exceptional. As I write this email, the temperature on the thermometer reads 72 degrees, making it the third straight day we’ve been in the 70s. Even our elevation, which typically helps us keep snow later than most resorts, has worked against us this week – at 7:30 this morning the temperature in Kingfield was 39 degrees, while the temperature at the top of Skyline was 58. We’ve never seen weather like this, and I know this has raised some questions among all of you regarding our operating plans going forward.

While I can’t say with any certainty what the weather has in store for us over the next month, I can assure you of this: we are the King of Spring, and we will do whatever it takes to keep skiing, and to deliver a great experience to our guests. Going forward, our plan is to remain open at least through Reggae weekend (April 14-15), and for as long after that as snow holds out.

Clearly our snowpack and open terrain have taken a substantial hit during this week’s record heat. Our latest forecasts are calling for cooler, more seasonable temperatures to return this weekend, and our grooming crew will do their best to put things back together. If the weather pattern changes and we receive enough snow, our Ski Patrol will be ready to reopen closed terrain. If temperatures get cold enough, we have not ruled out firing up our snowmaking system again. And even if this record-breaking heat returns and makes skiing impossible, Reggae Fest will go on as scheduled.

We have no intentions of throwing in the towel yet, and I’d like to thank you all in advance for helping us communicate that commitment to all of our guests.

As you all know well, April can be (and typically is) a snowy month here in the mountains. In fact, over the past five years, we’ve seen an average of 2.5 feet of April snow, including 95 inches in April of 2007.

Sincerely,

John Diller"

That's how you do it. I'm going Apr 1st for a couple of days.

thetrailboss

Staff member

"All,

Sincerely,

John Diller"

Very nice.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Just updated my blog post. Here is a rundown for the entire East:

70 or less ski areas that are looking to open this weekend.

ON: 1 maybe
QC: 42 or less (wasn't able to confirm some of them)
NB: 2
NS: 1
NL: 1 or more
NY: 4
VT: 10
NH: 6
ME: 3

You've seen the list for New England. Here is the rest of the East.

List of ski areas looking to open this weekend:
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012...ster-and-winter-hating-heatwave/#comment-1406

Smellytele

Pats peak website...
We are sad to report that PATS PEAK will be closing down for the 2011/2012 season at 4pm on Friday, March 23rd. It has been a long but valiant effort between our snowmakers/groomers and Mother Nature. For a good stretch our over 6 feet of man-made snow held its ground. We hope that you were able to make it out during this time to enjoy WINTER. Alas, she rules and we surrender to her beach party. Despite Mother Nature’s unkind temperament this season, we thank you for joining us for some fun on slopes all thanks to our snowmakers!

Might have to hike up Sunday and get a few turns in anyway.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So who is making snow this weekend? Any area serious about April (at least beyond April 1st) is probably going to have to make some snow OR cross their fingers that mother nature helps out. Sugarloaf has hinted they may. Any other hints?

Many areas just need some base area snow. With the 80 degree days behind us, a little touch up work at the base could extend things another week or two for some areas.

Has snow ever been made so late in the season before?

lou12572

whiteface will be closing on the 25th (sunday) and will determine by mid week to see if they will open on the 31st and 1st. time to get my fishing gear ready for the 1st.8) i think this season is a done deal:sadwalk: still hoping for jay next friday though.:dontknow::dontknow:

soposkier

So who is making snow this weekend? Any area serious about April (at least beyond April 1st) is probably going to have to make some snow OR cross their fingers that mother nature helps out. Sugarloaf has hinted they may. Any other hints?

Many areas just need some base area snow. With the 80 degree days behind us, a little touch up work at the base could extend things another week or two for some areas.

Ive got to imagine that if anyone does make snow it will be Sugarloaf. Boyne seems to be quite competitive to have Sunday River the first to open and Sugarloaf the last to close. Still holding out for a 97" April at the loaf....

Puck it

Add Cannon to the list.Closing this Sunday 3-25.And to riv,I've seen SR make snow in April some years back.

I was thinking of going up tomorrow but is it really worth the drive to connect the dots. You have any intel for me, it would be appreciated.

skiur

K has made snow this late before, but I think we can safely say they wont be this year or any other with powder in chage.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pats peak website...
We are sad to report that PATS PEAK will be closing down for the 2011/2012 season at 4pm on Friday, March 23rd. It has been a long but valiant effort between our snowmakers/groomers and Mother Nature. For a good stretch our over 6 feet of man-made snow held its ground. We hope that you were able to make it out during this time to enjoy WINTER. Alas, she rules and we surrender to her beach party. Despite Mother Nature’s unkind temperament this season, we thank you for joining us for some fun on slopes all thanks to our snowmakers!

Might have to hike up Sunday and get a few turns in anyway.

I can recall when I skied there that they usually closed the last weekend of March as it was. But in recent years they have been pushing the limits on both ends of the season, which is nice.

Friday morning Okemo says: "We have 9 trails and 2 lifts open today"

K is still claiming 13, but will probably close half of them (i.e. Bear) after Saturday.