• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2013 Boating Thread

4aprice

See the NHL Playoffs and Golfing threads up and that can only mean one thing, time for the boat. May be launching Saturday, may not (got some minor seat and cover repairs that need to be made) but the season is upon us anyway. Looking forward to some skiing, cruising, and Byram Cove Parties. Hope to take road trip either back to George or over to Winnipesaukee in August.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cornhead

Looking forward to getting out in my canoe more this Summer, Sawyer DY Special. I was canoeing religiously a couple years ago, I was in the best shape I've been in in awhile. It's like hiking for your back, I live on the Susquehanna in Conklin, a suburb of Binghamton, NY. My routine was to paddle to the Rockbottom Dam in Binghamton, then back to the house. 12 miles round trip, one hour down, two hours back, depending on the level of the river, and wind. I think I may start locking it, the neighbors had a friend's boat stolen recently, right next store. I don't know if anyone would want to steal a 32 year old boat, but you never know.

xwhaler

I'm looking forward to it as well. Boat is still under shrink wrap in the yard but that should be coming off next wknd.
My project/new thing this year is adding a forward shelter for the bow area.
Basically required that I add some shade/protection from the wind now that I'll be getting my 3 month old son and wife out there.

Not my boat but this is the model Whaler I own with the "Mills Forward Canvas" I'll be installing. I bought a ratty one off Craigslist a few weeks back where the frame is good. Figured I will get a local canvas shop to replicate it and hopefully the expense of having a custom one installed is removed. New ones from Mills run close to $1500 and I didn;t want to drop that kind of coin on a 45 yr old boat.
Regardless, winterized motor was put away last Fall so even it takes a few weeks to get this bow dodger set up and made/installed I should be able to get out there for a short cruise.

http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/...builderpictures/canvasstbd.jpg&target=tlx_new

Geoff

I write checks to get my boat floating. I should start being squeaky wheel at the boat yard. I just had my knee scoped and some torn meniscus cleaned up last Thursday so early May isn't gonna happen but I'd like to be floating before Memorial Day.

jrmagic

Good luck with that canvas setup. I hope it works out for your family.

I haven't even thought about the boat yet but need to soon. I need to replace the front bilge and one macerator as well as getting the cable for my sounder re-pressed.... At least I hope that's all the sounder needs. the last couple of years Ive been too busy to use it much before mid-July due to my son's summer lacrosse and that won't change for at least 3 more seasons.

ctenidae

We just moved two weeks ago, and with it all the boat registrations got caught up in the whirlwind of postal forwarding. The one for the dinghy came in yesterday, hopefully the one for the Sailfish comes in today, so I can got to town hall, prove I'm a resident, and get a boat slip. I'm sure the boatyard would like to free up the rack space. It's a little cool out, still, but I'm looking forward to ferrying the boat from Norwalk to Greenwich.

mlctvt

My wife and I were just talking about getting out on the sea kayaks, we're a little late to start this year. We do have drysutis so the cold water isn't an issue. We'll probably hbit the lower Ct river tidal marshes first then do some LI sound paddles later in the month.
Hoping to get to NH and/or Maine for a long weekend this summer.

4aprice

Super good weekend on the water. Nice hot weather = good times on the lake and in Byram Cove. Dinner Friday and rafting parties Saturday and Sunday. Got a nice sun burn to prove it. Water temps swimmable, unfortunately for me skiing is put on hold for a while as I recover from a bad fall over the Memorial Day Holiday which resulted in 2 fractured ribs. Hope to get on them around July 4th.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

crank

Sailed over to Eatons Neck, LI Saturday. Anchored, swam, Grilled veggies and steaks, drank a couple Coronas (Just 2 for me I take safety on the water very seriously) then sailed back across the sound to Stamford. Great day, windy, warm, boatload of friends, water not too cold to swim. Got back to the dock after midnight and then my gf and I got early and went mountain biking at NEMBA's Happening at Huntington event Sunday. Great weekend!

Geoff

I was launched the Friday before Memorial Day but I discovered my marina had moved me to a slip that there was no way I could get out of. They're trying to juggle boats to accommodate me and my boat is still stuck on the wrong side of the bridge at the boat yard. First world problem.... If worst comes to worst, I'll have a friend's mooring upgraded so I can float there and put my dinghy on the beach owned by the family of one of my best friends. I'd rather not do that.

Edited:
I'm back to my old slip. Life is good.

Last edited:

ctenidae

Hopefully we get commissioned this week. We've secured our slip and all, but don't have the boat in the water. Will probably go in just in time for my wife to go into labor...

ctenidae

We got the boat in the water Saturday, and I brought it down from Norwalk in the morning. Went out with the wife and kid(s) yesterday for a couple of hours. Nice day out on the Sound, if a bit choppy. We'll see how often we get to use it this summer...

vermonter

I use a racing shell. I used to do crew and high school and decided to buy a small shell after college
I've been getting some decent time on my single in lakes and rivers around me.

Sent from my VS840 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

B O A T = Bring out another thousand, which is just what I did and had the rear seat and sun pad repaired. Great job by the guy who did it and well worth the money. Got out Sunday and yesterday and managed to avoid any thunder boomers. Lake starting to get warm. Rib feeling better so skiing should commence soon. Hoping this unsettled weather settles for next week and the 4th is rockin. Love this time of year on the water.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Wow! What a 4th of July weekend. No rain (till 1/2 hour off the water Sunday night), hot, humid, warm water, the way one dreams about it. Great rafts up in Byram Cove. Lots of drinks, tanning, good tunes (and scantily clad ladies dancing) and fireworks. The lake was hopping. Lake Hopatcong rocks.
:flag:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Bene288

Had the whaler out last weekend at Lake Saratoga. Finally got 1 day of clear weather.

Mpdsnowman

My boat has been in the water since april 1st. We do alot of fishing here on lake ontario. Did great in the Spring caught alot of brown trout, a nice big steelhead and a large salmon. It has slowed down bigtime for the past month but should pickup soon again. So far we have done 30 trips. I like to go out at least 4 times a week if I can. But now I got some stagehand work coming up so I probably wont fire her up until next weekend.

603833_3031686609080_2005982784_n.jpg

Here is a short video of the steelhead we took in early May