• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice for purchasing new skis (women's)

LisaBatt

I am an intermediate East Coast skier looking to upgrade...Have been using Salomons for a couple of years and am interested in either Atomic Balanze line or Volkl's Attiva line. Both are made specifically for women. Any thought's from any of you would be much appreciated. The prices are great right now while suppllies last, so I want to make a purchase asap!!! Thanks to all ...

roark

The buying skiis mantra is: "Demo, demo, demo, demo."

Many mountains have free demo days. Try to get to one. Find a shop that has the skis available for a demo rental (many will let you try several demo pairs in one day).

I suspect you've seen these skis on sale lately? Without trying them all you can do is read reviews and ask others. Unfortunately this board is about 99% male so finding someone who had tried these skis is unlikely.

Best of luck. Getting new gear is always fun!

persee

I'm a girl!

Well... Last I checked I was not male...

However you are correct, most things on the internet are incredibly male dominated, but I do believe there are several women skiers still here, myself included.

I've been skiing on the K2 T9 line since I started and you may want to consider these. I "learned/improved for a year on T9 Mystery Luvs (rated green/blue), then I upgraded to the T9 True Luvs. These skis are rated intermediate/advanced and I really do "luv" them. They did nothing but increase my confidence and give me the ability to do all the things I wanted (thus far) on the mountain. I ski primarily in the East (Attitash, Sunday River, Sugarloaf as well as occasional forays elsewhere. I would seriously suggest you consider the True Luvs or if you're more advance the One Luvs from K2. They really do make a good ski - there's a reason all the ski mags, reviews, etc rave about these skis.

On my first and thusfar only (but not for long!) trip out west this spring I tried out a set of K2 T9 LottaLuvs. Boy did I "luv" these skis. They made me feel like an expert on the slopes out at Tahoe in late april. I'm actually considering adding a pair of these to my tools for powder days out east and for my next trip west.

Now you asked about Volkls. My husband skis Volkls and he's loving them. I've considered them and the reason I ended up with the True Luv's over the Attiva AC2's was simple - I got a great deal I just couldn't walk away from on the True Luvs. I hope to try out some Volkls at some point but they really do make a great ski and although I can't give you first hand knowledge I can say I have no reason to think badly of them and would be skiing them if circumstances were different. I've never skied on atomics, nor known anyone who did so I'm not much help here.

As for me. I started skiing in December of 2004. I've advanced pretty quickly and would consider myself a high intermediate skier (I think they might call it level 7 if I were to classify). I have plenty to learn and improve still, but I can get myself down anything I'd be stupid enough to put myself at the top of without endangering myself or others. My form is decent. I'm 5'3 125ish and 30ish years old. Not a dare devil, not spending my days in the parks, but enjoy getting a few bumps and a little air when it suits me and like to ski the entire mountain. I've been told that it seems smaller lighter women tend to like the K2's best so take this for whatever it's worth.

NYDrew

Don't want to come off un-gentlemanly but how about telling us your height, weight and preferred terrain. Every ski is the best ski....just depends who is on them. Whats great for you might be aweful for the next.

No one can give you an accurate answer, but that information will allow us to point you in the right direction.