• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alaska Heli Skiing Accident

dblskifanatic

KustyTheKlown

the guide seems to be pretty influential in the gnar community. lots of pros posting about him.

one of the passengers was a czech billionaire, one of the richest men in the world

ThatGuy

“The helicopter appears to have hit the mountain 10 feet (3.05 meters) to 15 feet (4.57 meters) below a ridgeline at an elevation of approximately 5,500 feet (1,676 meters). The helicopter then rolled 800-900 feet (244-274 meters) downhill”

Can’t believe someone survived a crash like that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Besides being crazy expensive to do, This is another reason I might get nervous. One was from Colorado - five died in the crash. So sad!

We're in Steamboat this week and this is all over the news since the guide was from CO.

kingslug

These crashes are very rare..these pilots are the best. Suprised it hit 15 feet up into the side..maybe disoriented for a tragic second..
It wouldnt prevent me from going again...

Shredmonkey254

These crashes are very rare..these pilots are the best. Suprised it hit 15 feet up into the side..maybe disoriented for a tragic second..
It wouldnt prevent me from going again...
I wouldn’t hesitate one second! Had an incredible pilot, flew in Vietnam, the flying in those mountains was almost as good as the skiing. So glad to not recognize the names in the article. Incredible flying skills, straight up, down, landing on tiny ridges or hovering over mountain tops to jump out. Just spectacular! Some of life’s best memories. Was trying to trade wines with guys from France, they brought it over in their boots and would not trade it for anything. They had a private guide who took them down crazy shit. We did crazy steep shit too, amazing how steep you can go when the snow is so deep. Its good to be rich, was worth squandering the money though, as I’m not. Warren Miller is right.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Besides being crazy expensive to do, This is another reason I might get nervous. One was from Colorado - five died in the crash. So sad!

I went helicopter skiing with CMH Mountain Holidays in Canada back in maybe 2000 with my dad. one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

edit I've also done two helo tours in Hawaii. every so often you hear about one of them crashing as well. it's scary but also unlikely to be you.

KustyTheKlown

silverton does very affordable single drops, which is a nice way to get ones feet wet without committing to the $10000 heli trip.

be careful tho. its like crack. can become an expensive hobby and numb you to cheaper highs.