• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineZone Challenge 2012: Chris Farmer of Saddleback

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris Farmer of Saddleback, has agreed to participate in the 2012 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge!

Please note: last year, Saddleback had agreed to participate in the challenge but wasn't able to complete responses. Here is the original thread --> http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?102492-AZ-Challenge-2011-JoAnne-Taylor-of-Saddleback .

The AlpineZone Challenge is your chance to offer up questions, suggestions or praise to the people who run the mountains in the northeast. For more information on the challenge itself, please see the stickied post at the top of the forum.

We will pick ten of the questions asked here and submit them for review and response, and post them in the Challenge area when complete!

Caveats: we may edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or something similar. Questions may be merged. If we don't get to all the questions, we will encourage followup from the representatives, but no promises.

Please be respectful as well to those answering questions - please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. as these may be confidential to the mountain.

Saddleback Profile

2004 AlpineZone Challenge Results

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My first question obviously has to do with the announced sale or potential sale of Saddleback. Could you talk a bit to the circumstances around the decisions to sell, what involvement you would like to have with Saddleback in the future, and if there are limitations to what is on the table?

xwhaler

I'd like to dig up the questions I asked last yr they didn't reply on. Am having trouble locating that thread though?

xwhaler

Awesome thanks! So all the questions I asked previously should still apply as I've not heard of any updates addressing some of the concerns I had.

salsgang

Yea my question from last year are pretty relevant still. I will say their social media presence is more consistent and informative this year.

tipsdown

1. Have you considered installing a true base-to-summit lift in lieu of the Rangeley double? Given the aging lift system (excluding the Kennebego) the mountain doesn’t ski as big as it is and a lift and trail network that offers top-to-bottom skiing like most other big mountains would go a long way in providing that. Having another lift to the summit would also take some pressure off of the Kennebego Quad for 2 reasons as I see it. a) Longer runs means skiers are on the trails longer and in line less and b) it could potentially unload at the entrance of the proposed West Bowl spreading skiers and riders out even further)

2. Are there still plans to open up ski access to the backside? I understand there are some restrictions in regards to lift and trail development but how about some thinning below tree line and providing access either back to the front (via the proposed West Bowl lift) or scheduled cat rides back to the summit? Formally providing access to that terrain would surely give expert skiers one of the most unique and challenging experiences in New England. With terrain of that magnitude it only seems natural to capitalize on it. It also seems as though it could be a cost-effective approach towards solidifying Saddleback’s reputation as having some of the toughest terrain in the east..

3. Do you a plan in terms of laying out future terrain expansion? There seems to be a need to more intermediate trail development and as I understand it there are plans for additional glading on the current blueprint as well as the the East (of Muleskinner) and to the West (West Bowl)​

Riverskier

I have a lot of questions about plans for the future, but those questions would have to be directed to a new owner not yet determined! Therefore, I have nothing.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
This question can take a relatively low priority since it is more just out of curiosity.

While the Kennebago Steeps are awesome, I also really enjoy skiing down the to the t-bar and doing laps there since there aren't too many t-bars left at medium and big sized ski areas. I also have noticed that the t-bar is the #1 most mentioned lift in the lodge so other people must also appreciate it. Have you noticed this too? Do you think the t-bar is a draw for some people to Saddleback, not in itself, but as one piece of the puzzle? And do you think the t-bar will be running for decades to come or might it be replaced or removed?

CrudClub1

I appologize. I ASS/u/ME/d the folks answering the questions, would respond as the thread(s) progressed.

farmboy

Sorry- I thought Nick was sending me a list of questions. Glad to begin answering whenever you folks would like

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.