• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta 2/28/07

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Weather: Bluebird Skys

Conditions: What else, powder

Report:

Well, after a day off, we made it back to the slopes and I got to try out my new skis. Yesterday we decided to go to Alta, they had recieved about 8" and with all their open bowls I figured it would be a great place to try out the skis. Last year we hit Alta for one day and I wasn't overly impressed, this year was the same. Don't get me wrong, great mountain, but I enjoy all the other ones we've been to better.

As stated, I tried my new skis, felt like I was starting skiin all over again. Lost count of the number of times I fell.These skis are monster, 188cm, 131-98-116 turn radius of 28m, never skied on anything so big. Another mistake I made is trying to carve, these are not carving skis. Anyway after awhile, I got the hang of it and at least was able to keep from falling. The skis are outrageous on powder, they had to stay on top of the snow at all times, but they did kick my butt and I changed to my Metrons for the last few runs of the day.

As stated, Alta is a great fun mountain and in all fainess, I've only been there twice, once trying to learn how to ski on the powder skis. The one thing to like about it is all the nice open bowls it has. But at the same time, they appear to get tracked out much quicker than other places. Yesterday it was all powder and we were able to find some untouched spots which were fun. One spot I popped a ski off and damn, realized why so many people ski with a shovel in their backpack. It's not easy trying to get a ski on in 4 or 5 feet of fresh powder!

Anyway I think today is Powder Mountain again (Reported conditions: POWDER/Creamy Corduroy/LOTS MORE POWDER)and tomorrow we may finish in Solitude.

The skis, I look arrogant cause I didn't try them yet. I was very humbled after skiing them :) :

normal_P2280003.JPG

The mountain:

normal_P2280008.JPG

normal_P2280009.JPG

normal_P2280014.JPG

Mineral Basin, Snowbird as seen from Alta, love this spot:

normal_P2280016.JPG

drjeff

Drooling, my plane lands in SLC at 2:30 Saturday afternoon! Can't wait! :snow: :snow: :snow:

Morewood

I arrive next Thursday for 4 days of Litten Cottonwood Canyon skiing. Can't wait...plus another big storm is supposed to Mon-Wed....yahoo!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
One spot I popped a ski off and damn, realized why so many people ski with a shovel in their backpack. It's not easy trying to get a ski on in 4 or 5 feet of fresh powder!
not sure if you were being facetious or not, but folks skiing with shovels are doing so for avi conditions. for finding your skis in deep snow, most powder hounds probably use some sort of powder cord to connect the boots to the bindings in the event they pop off. getting skis on in deep snow is an art form unto itself. folks skiing in the east during the Vday blizzard learned it quick or sunk deep when the skis went flying!

nice report. alta is on my short list for to do's along with the other cotttonwood canyon areas.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
not sure if you were being facetious or not, but folks skiing with shovels are doing so for avi conditions. for finding your skis in deep snow, most powder hounds probably use some sort of powder cord to connect the boots to the bindings in the event they pop off. getting skis on in deep snow is an art form unto itself. folks skiing in the east during the Vday blizzard learned it quick or sunk deep when the skis went flying!

nice report. alta is on my short list for to do's along with the other cotttonwood canyon areas.

No I wasn't being facetious. We do have powder cords and the issue wasn't finding the ski, it popped off as I was walking on some flat terrain. My problem was trying to get it on in powder that deep. I was lucky enough to do it but it wasnt' easy, had to kind of balance myself on one ski so that I didn't sink in. I always thought that shovels were for bc and avi conditions, but out here I saw a hell of a lot of people with shovels and figured when you get stuck in a situation as I did, a shovel would help.

This time around we've checked out all the Cottonwood Canyon resorts. Out of them all, I'd say Alta is my least favorite, but that's just me. Guess if you get it at the right time it could be really good.