• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta Snowbird visit from Dec 28th to Dec 30th...

Tonyr

I assume it will be horrible if we can leave in the morning. Nothing I can do though, Saturday night and Sunday is supposedly the big dump, want to get the heck out of here.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I assume it will be horrible if we can leave in the morning. Nothing I can do though, Saturday night and Sunday is supposedly the big dump, want to get the heck out of here.
Oh…you’re going down-canyon? That won’t be bad at all.

Tonyr

Yes we are going down Canyon. We were supposed to leave here on Monday. I'm going to try and go back to Park City if we can get out.

Tonyr

The road opened up this morning around 8.30 am and thankfully we were out of there before 9.30 am. Traffic was horrible coming up the Canyon, there was no traffic coming down. When we left Snowbird this morning it was very foggy with low visibility like yesterday. I would suspect that today wouldn't have been a great day if we would have stayed due to the lack of visibility. Moved over to DV and had an awesome powder day there instead with no worries of ever getting snowed in this weekend.

jimk

The road opened up this morning around 8.30 am and thankfully we were out of there before 9.30 am. Traffic was horrible coming up the Canyon, there was no traffic coming down. When we left Snowbird this morning it was very foggy with low visibility like yesterday. I would suspect that today wouldn't have been a great day if we would have stayed due to the lack of visibility. Moved over to DV and had an awesome powder day there instead with no worries of ever getting snowed in this weekend.
Well played sir, well played!

Scottyskis2

From Alta
"
For the final time this year:

🚨Highway 210 will close at 10pm tonight and Interlodge will go into effect at 11pm. 🚨

Estimated opening is 8am—but we'll see what Mother Nature has planned for the New Year.

Thank you for your continued patience during this long-duration storm that is projected to impact LCC for multiple days.

Stay up-to-date: https://cottonwoodcanyons.udot.utah.gov/

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wow... @Tonyr ... first currently active AZ'er to spot @ss20

Betty buy a powerball ticket... about 1 in ~6,000 people to capture that, and front and center too hahahahaha

And for the record...the perspective is deceiving... that is NOT the dead center of the trail, to be clear!!!!!

Tonyr

Betty buy a powerball ticket... about 1 in ~6,000 people to capture that, and front and center too hahahahaha

And for the record...the perspective is deceiving... that is NOT the dead center of the trail, to be clear!!!!!
Nice!!!

Tonyr

I am so glad we got out of there....
Screenshot_20230101_074640_Chrome.jpg
DV is getting nuked right now, this is good enough for me!....
20230101_073217.jpg

Tonyr

On another note, how do you deal with all the traffic getting up there? I guess you have to leave very early when you want to ski or go to work.....

Scottyskis2

"
The storm delivered, leaving us with nearly a foot (and counting) of new snow overnight. UDOT and Snowbird crews are working, but expect delays. Please do not queue at the mouth of the canyon, as there is no estimated time of reopening for the road.

Follow @udotcottonwoods for road updates, which we will continue to share through our social media channels, Snowbird app, and the Mountain Report."

Scottyskis2

From Sunday January 1 from 250 pm
Update about the roads and mountains situation I never ski with HD and I very jealous of people who get to enjoy the snow and mountains in the slc and the storm usually stops much better for big mountains out in Utah
"""
11:20 am update:
Due to widespread avalanche activity associated with the abnormally wet snow Snowbird has received in this multi-day storm, we have pulled our Mountain Operations teams off of the mountain and lifts will not open today.

Interlodge
Straight-line travel is currently in effect for the Snowbird Village only. Guests and employees may move between buildings, but not go into the parking lots. Periods of straight-line travel will go into effect intermittently throughout the day.

Road
SR-210 remains closed at this time. UDOT mitigation is ongoing and there is no estimated time of reopening. Continue checking @udotcottonwoods for updates.

We will continue to provide updates regarding road closures and interlodge through our social channels, Snowbird app notifications and Mountain Report."""

Tonyr

The snow was heavy at DV today making it somewhat tough to ski, the trees were pretty much out of play. If the pitch wasn't steep enough you'd just sink right in then have to slog your way out. Stayed on trail all day.

Tonyr

We have tomorrow night booked as an insurance plan. If we get stuck, we just work from the room next day/shred a few runs and get the red eye jetblue back to boston.
The local weatherman here said a storm like this hits the area once a decade.