• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta, Utah: December 28, 2012

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski Area: Alta, Utah

Dates:
December 28, 2012

Conditions:
P (23" from last storm, 196" season total to date)

Weather:
Sunny, temps in the 20's.

Report No: 9

Snowmonster, as well as my wife, wanted to get back to Alta. For my wife and I this is a special place because it was the first place that we skied at when we first visited Utah in December 2010. We stopped to Snowbird to upgrade for the day to Alta ($33 per person) and then headed to Wildcat to boot up.

First run was down a newly opened, and ungroomed, Main Street which had some Utah smoke on the side...about two feet worth. It was amazing.

Next run was to get to Sugarloaf and we headed down Devil's Way to Devil's Elbow. Though the road was packed the ski lifts and trails were not too bad. We took Sugarloaf back up and dropped into Little Dipper:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We worked our way to Supreme where we spent most of the rest of the morning. We hit Challenger, No. 9 Express, and Sleepy Hollow before going to Alf's for lunch, which was an absolute madhouse.

ry%3D400

Challenger:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We also skied Rock n' Roll, at the advice of a 70-something year old Quebecois man who had come to Alta for the past ten seasons with his wife to ski. A really cool guy. Rock n' Roll was nice....with some powder bumps on it.

Snowshowers eventually gave way to cold sunshine.

ry%3D400

And we caught up with Snowmonster for an afternoon of turns on Sugarloaf and Supreme:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We found ourselves at the top of a nice shot near Upper Sleepy Hollow and had to partake:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

thetrailboss

Staff member
My wife headed down at about 3:30 and snowmonster and I worked our way over via Sugarloaf to a nice run down the Ballroom, which was really deep powder. I saw at least two people digging for lost skis...I don't think that they will be visible for a while now...

I headed to the lodge at about 4pm and snowmonster did one more lap down Baldy Shoulder. My final drop down Collins Face was a great way to end the day.

Headin Home:

ry%3D400

Going to the Ballroom:

ry%3D400

One last dance...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Me getting in on some last run snow...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Almost down...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

For those that have not been yet, you owe it to yourself to ski this iconic place.

ry%3D400

thetrailboss

Staff member
Your living my dream. Alta you captured everything that is great about it in this report.:)

Well, the dream would be skiing 130 days a season like the retired Quebecois guy we rode up Supreme with that one ride. :lol: My wife wants us to get Alta passes next season. Oh the horror! :lol: :wink:

snoseek

I've been thinking about Utah alot lately. I miss alta, specifically supreme, i spent 3 winters playing in that area alot, know all the fun little lines between there and catherines. With that said I like the bird better but Alta will always be a special mountain. Would be a tough call, wish alta bird wasn't so $$$$ for a pass.

I've been reluctantly on the fence about returning to Utah for about three years now but honestly I miss it, i miss the skiing, i miss how cheap it is, i miss how user friendly the whole damn city is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ah yes, I need to get the Snowbird pics up tonight. The skiing was great.

Snowbird v. Alta: I like both for different reasons. For us Alta will actually be more expensive than what we currently do. I like Snowbird for the big mountain skiing and the more accessible bowls and chutes that Alta doesn't have. But I like the trail skiing at Alta better. I agree...wish that the Alta/Bird passes weren't $1,600!

snoseek

Snowbird midweek chairs only plus a full powmow pass. I've thought about it and that would be my ideal combo.

I'm having super fun in Tahoe this winter, even Heavenly is over 200 inches for the year. I'm ready to ski fluffy blower again however and I have nothing holding me here, no job, nothing. Utah, yeah that's where I wanna be. Close to moab/fruita too!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowbird midweek chairs only plus a full powmow pass. I've thought about it and that would be my ideal combo.

I'm having super fun in Tahoe this winter, even Heavenly is over 200 inches for the year. I'm ready to ski fluffy blower again however and I have nothing holding me here, no job, nothing. Utah, yeah that's where I wanna be. Close to moab/fruita too!

That would be a great combo.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why no backside?

Not sure how I feel about a guy asking to see my backside :lol:

Just kidding.

We did not go over there because it was pretty tracked out. In hindsight I wish we had because three days later my wife tore her ACL ending her season and she has never skied over there.