• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any glades near Syracuse/Utica?

ADKme

Of all the smaller hills around the Syracuse/Utica area, do any have respectable glades trails? Excluding a trip to Gore or Plattekill, I'm looking to ski some trees, as short as the runs may be. What about McCauley, Snow Ridge, Song/Labrador/Greek Peak?

Rambo

Greek Peak does have glade/tree areas and sometimes gets lots of lake effects snow
Have one pic
gptreesa.jpg

Mpdsnowman

Lab has awesome glades. And yes I am guilty of finding myself off bounds too where it gets loaded with powder. Today was our opening day. The groomers were hard but only because they are intently flooding it with man made because tonight we get 12+. but there was definitely powder there, you just need to know where and how to get it...Im working on a vid from earlier today. Ill post it up in a bit.

I would strongly suggest going tomorrow. Im definitely poaching south peak. But to answer your question, I would say lab has the most glades of all three in the area....
Picture241.jpg

Mpdsnowman

Here you go...this is today. They only had the central peak open. This vid showcases one glade in that section. As they open more of the mountain and I see no reason why with this snow tomorrow isnt 100%. These glades here are nothing. The real deal is in the southern peak. If you go, you will find me, look for the orange gloves and a head cam lol...

Lots of people today. I had to fight thru the cross town traffic to get to the glade and powder lol..

Huck_It_Baby

If you don't mind a mom and pop place that has very little elevation you could check out Snow Ridge. They get hammered with Lake effect. Take the northern most lift and go right off the lift out into the woods. There is a gully that has has some really fun glades which aren't on the map. Depending on how far you traverse at the top you may have to find a away across a creek on the end. Then jump on the snowmobile track and it takes you back to the lift to do it again. Lots of fun.

Mpdsnowman

You know I am going to go there this year. It is small but they do get hammered lol. My seasons pass at Labador is good for 15 dollar lift tix there...Im not sure what the rate normally is but they do get good snow.

Mpdsnowman

Lol well today it doesnt matter where you go in this area your gonna have powder lol. We got at least a foot and its still coming down. Im going to leave for Lab in about an hour if I can get out of the driveway lol....

There will be some serious glade poaching today.

Mpdsnowman

This vid has some glades in the Northern section. Today I am hitting the southern peak and some serious off bounds glades. Yesterday I was debating with Ski Patrol. The trail sign said closed but didnt say...no poaching lol. They(ski patrol) say, "closed means closed" lol. I replied..."If you want to chase me you can....If you catch me you can take my pass...I will go to the office and the owner will give it back to me while I get a cup of coffee..lol..they agreed to go one way...I went the other lol

And if this snow keeps up it wont be long until I hit the BC glades of Labrador Hollow and adjacent areas...now THAT is unmonitored glades..but involves hiking(you can see a section in the beginning of this video)

Mpdsnowman

I was riding with a guy named kenny met him on the lift two days ago. He knows the bc areas in this region and we made some planned runs in the next week or so. There are a few logging roads I know of but have never hiked them, he has and so were going to go. Once I figure it out and shoot some vids I can pass the info along. It is withn a short drive of the area this thread is about so it would be a simple day thing.

At Lab we are opening more. The southern peak with the real glades isnt open yet but maybe tomorrow. I think they were waiting for the crowds to go away. We have raped most of the powder accessible and I know the southern peak is still loaded,.

This vid we shot the other day shows some of the northern peak glades and the champagne snow everyone in this region has.

Mpdsnowman

If you ever did get to Labrador this is a really fun glade that I have ripped thru for years. By far its the one glade that just about everyone passes by. Most dont even know its there. Athough this trail was officically closed I poached it anyway and found footage of untouched powder.

And they have not even opened the southern peak where the real deal off boundaries glades are...If al goes well they should open it by tomorrow...