• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any Jackson Hole experts out there?

Tonyr

I've done the drive from JH to Park City once through Wyoming. The population is pretty sparse making your way down. You drive through towns here and there with populations of less than 100 people. It was also the first time that I've ever seen tumbleweed on the roads!

raisingarizona

I've done the drive from JH to Park City once through Wyoming. The population is pretty sparse making your way down. You drive through towns here and there with populations of less than 100 people. It was also the first time that I've ever seen tumbleweed on the roads!
Ahh, the Russian Thistle Bush. It’s often revered for its affiliation with the cowboy and Indian days of the wild, Wild West, cue the Maricone song and the high noon gun fight imagery. Interestingly it’s an invasive species that wasn’t introduced to the United States until the dust bowl era by the traveling Russian circus shows.

Zand

I did the SLC to Jackson (and back) drive once. On the way up I took 80 to Evanston and then whatever county roads going north to Jackson and yes that can be a very lonely ride! Hit a squall in the mountains before heading down into the Afton area but otherwise a very easy drive. I imagine that would be the way to go to and from Park City.

For SLC proper, it's about the same ride time to take 15 to Idaho Falls, then county roads to Victor and over the Teton Pass. Idaho Falls to Jackson is also pretty lonely but that's probably less than half the distance of Evanston to Jackson, and then the rest is interstate. Just be aware that 15 has some elevational changes near the Idaho/Utah border that can sometimes have poorer conditions than the areas north and south of the border.

I also saw my first real tumbleweed on that ride just outside of Idaho Falls! It frightened me how big it was. I figured they were the size of a tire, not the size of a car!

Tonyr

Ahh, the Russian Thistle Bush. It’s often revered for its affiliation with the cowboy and Indian days of the wild, Wild West, cue the Maricone song and the high noon gun fight imagery. Interestingly it’s an invasive species that wasn’t introduced to the United States until the dust bowl era by the traveling Russian circus shows.
That's interesting.

Tonyr

I did the SLC to Jackson (and back) drive once. On the way up I took 80 to Evanston and then whatever county roads going north to Jackson and yes that can be a very lonely ride! Hit a squall in the mountains before heading down into the Afton area but otherwise a very easy drive. I imagine that would be the way to go to and from Park City.

For SLC proper, it's about the same ride time to take 15 to Idaho Falls, then county roads to Victor and over the Teton Pass. Idaho Falls to Jackson is also pretty lonely but that's probably less than half the distance of Evanston to Jackson, and then the rest is interstate. Just be aware that 15 has some elevational changes near the Idaho/Utah border that can sometimes have poorer conditions than the areas north and south of the border.

I also saw my first real tumbleweed on that ride just outside of Idaho Falls! It frightened me how big it was. I figured they were the size of a tire, not the size of a car!
Yes I have done both drives. I had the Mountain Collective pass at the time and drove up 15 through Idaho to Big Sky with an overnight stop in Idaho Falls during the pandemic a few years back stopping at Grand Targhee and JH on our way back down to Sandy. 15 is not a scenic as cutting through Wyoming but I preferred the highway driving.

In any event that Mountain Collective trek as they call it, is now even better with the addition of Snowbasin to go along with Big Sky, JH, Targhee, Alta and Snowbird. It was a lot of driving and jumping around but ended up being a great way to explore all of those resorts at a reduced cost.

x10003q

I have only one flight into Jackson, Feb, 2020. It was a Friday morning 737 flight from Newark to Jackson. We where warned during the flight that there were bad winds in Jackson. We about 100 feet over the runway to land in Jackson when we all heard some kind of woop woop warning coming from the cockpit, the engines spooled up and we started back up. We were clearly not going to make another attempt and diverted to Billings. While we were in Billings we learned that the pilot did not think she had enough fuel if she could not land on a 2nd attempt. The other thing that happened was the crew timed out and we had to wait until a new crew arrived from Denver.

We took off a few hours later from Billings with warning that is was snowing at the airport in Jackson and we could be diverted to Denver. Luckily, we were able to land in the snow. One jet got in behind us and they closed the airport for the night at about 7pm. It ended up snowing for the next couple of days and we had an unbelievable 3 days of powder.

GregoryIsaacs

Theres no rush like that initial approach into JAC where anything can seem to happen!

It is winter time in one of the most gnarly places in NA after all.........

jimk

I've driven SLC to Jackson, WY back and forth a few times. I can remember a drive up to Jackson on US 89 in southwestern WY at twilight. There was so much wildlife milling around the roadway! Made a beautiful rural drive somewhat nerve-racking.

Also, there can be some crazy pockets of cold air driving around that part of the country. Temps can drop 10-15 degrees in 10 or 15 miles and then bounce right back up - for no apparent reason at times. Just little mini-inversions.

A nice video about the snowmakers of Jackson Hole. Snowmakers are bad ass. You have to be tough to do that job. They should get paid more.

Most dangerous job? i would make snow long before i would climb up a frickin lift tower to de ice it.