• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aspen 3/28

powbmps

Date: 3/28

Conditions: :-o

Landed in Denver at 10:00 on Friday. 55 degrees and sunny. By the time we got to Eisenhower tunnel it was gray and 25. Decided to buy a half day ticket at Loveland (just because we could). Only a couple inches of fresh, but it felt great to be in the mountains. Almost coughed up a lung.

Took Saturday off to hang out with my dad. Sun was out.

Woke up Sunday to a reported 3". Headed to Highlands where apparently 3" = 6+".

Woke up Monday to a reported 6". Decided on Ajax. Similar formula I guess.

Warning! Almost 8 minutes of POV accompanied by the sweet sounds of Winger :razz:! I blame the lack of hucking on my injured shoulder :cry:. Highlands footage is stuck on my wife's iPad so this is all Aspen.

Last edited:

powbmps

Did you ski Highland Bowl and will that be included in that footage?

Unfortunately not. I've got plenty of excuses though :razz:. It seemed that the best skiing (based on aspect) would have been all the way out in the far side of the bowl. I was told it could be a 60+ minute hike out there. I wasn't too keen on that idea. Also, they were having the "Battle in the Bowls" so there were quite a few people skiing it.

We did get some good snow in Olympic Bowl and off the Deep Temerity lift. Great terrain in those two areas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed

Huge fan of Highlands. Olympic Bowl and Deep Temerity areas are great. Unfortunately the DT lift wasn't there when I skied there. You could ski the terrain, but had to traverse back to the summit quad.

Back then, they only opened the Bowl is far as Ozone, right down the center. It was about a 40 minute hike to there, so yeah, 60 sounds about right to get to the other side.

powbmps

Agreed

Huge fan of Highlands. Olympic Bowl and Deep Temerity areas are great. Unfortunately the DT lift wasn't there when I skied there. You could ski the terrain, but had to traverse back to the summit quad.

The last time I skied back there it was the same way. That Temerity lift is awesome. I read it added 800 vertical feet to some of the Steeplechase trails (1800 now vs. 1000 then).

The traverse out of Olympic still sucks though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The last time I skied back there it was the same way. That Temerity lift is awesome. I read it added 800 vertical feet to some of the Steeplechase trails (1800 now vs. 1000 then).

The traverse out of Olympic still sucks though.

Agreed on the Olympic traverse. When I was there, there were slides that had recently broken off literally 10 feet below the traverse. Didn't inspire a lot of confidence in the stability over there. :lol: