• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East & Catamount: 3 New Lifts, Terrain Expansions

TyWebb

Skied BE and Catamount this past weekend - 1st time at Catamount. All adults and kids came away impressed with the mountain tho can use some fresh snow. Catamount had college races on Sunday and one lift was offline until 2'ish. Even with the lots packed - lines moved well and didn't wait that long all day

Berkshires are great to get away and the Air BnB rentals are very affordable during the winter .. really enjoy both spots

TyWebb

Great ownership - making snow in this cold window at the end of the season to try to stay open as long as possible

Good stuff

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpeg
    IMG_5058.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 4

Smellytele

urungus

That kind of sucks because the last time I was there the new quad was down for more than half the day and when it finally opened the line for it sucked and I kept riding the triple.
Were you there since they opened the detachable summit quad in December ? They still have two summit quads in case one goes down. Three summit chairlifts seems like overkill.

Newpylong

That kind of sucks because the last time I was there the new quad was down for more than half the day and when it finally opened the line for it sucked and I kept riding the triple.

Still got the fixed grip quad right next to it if the detachable goes down.

switchfox

Looks like they decided on moving the Triple. But won’t be reinstalling it this summer. Hopefully one of these years the new terrain will open…
Where did you see confirmation that they aren't reinstalling it this summer? I listened to the podcast from December and Jon Schaefer seemed iffy, but also didn't want to commit to removing the triple (was considering the fixed-grip quad). That was early winter, and it looks like they've made more decisions since then. Have we heard anything official since or just rumors?

urungus

Where did you see confirmation that they aren't reinstalling it this summer? I listened to the podcast from December and Jon Schaefer seemed iffy, but also didn't want to commit to removing the triple (was considering the fixed-grip quad). That was early winter, and it looks like they've made more decisions since then. Have we heard anything official since or just rumors?
The article I linked states “The expansion is not currently expected to be completed in 2024” … I suppose that leaves wiggle room for the expansion to be completed (or partially done) in early 2025 before the end of the upcoming season, but that seems unlikely.

RH29

I'd like to see some trail clearing get started this summer so that snowmaking + the lift + regrading can be finished for a winter 25-26 opening.

BodeMiller1

I hope they don't bike trail the shit out of the terrain over there. Can be tough skiing the woods with the often thin cover because there's loose rocks everywhere and birms to screw up any good lines.

This is an awesome update though!
The mt bike rats always find a way. They cut illegal trails at will. In NH we overlay thier aps on hiking trails. Can''t keep up. Barb wire fences seem to help.

SkiingInABlueDream

The mt bike rats always find a way. They cut illegal trails at will. In NH we overlay thier aps on hiking trails. Can''t keep up. Barb wire fences seem to help.
I sense that you have a point but I can’t decipher it (😅) but I’ll just say this. In my experience if a trail is fun to hike then biking it is a total non-starter. And purpose built mtb trails are boring AF to walk on.

BodeMiller1

I sense that you have a point but I can’t decipher it (😅) but I’ll just say this. In my experience if a trail is fun to hike then biking it is a total non-starter. And purpose built mtb trails are boring AF to walk on.
Once again you have crystalized my thoughts eloquently.

Also, Vermont finally stops letting Chinese sell bear paws and penises back to home country for large Wampum.