• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Snow Indoor Ski Area Thread

jaytrem

Good idea. Another interesting thing about the place. It seems to be less crowded during the spring/summer. It picks up again as the season approaches. The last 3 mogul days that I went to had zero lift lines.

4aprice

It's always interesting to walk into the place at 90, in minimal clothing boot backpack and snow equipment in your hands. We (when my son comes home) try to bag a day where we snow ski early as possible then go up to the lake an get in a water ski.

Still can't post pics.

urungus

Funny story: Last summer I got chewed out by two different Big Snow employees for poaching a run between the magic carpet and the banked turns of Lil’ Dipper (red arrow in pic below)

IMG_0367.jpeg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Right, thus avoiding more than 1 thread on ANYTHING remotely related to Big Snow.

It will succeed in making a ghost town quieter than a graveyard. ;)
Honestly, Rob Katz was getting jealous that we were not talking about him in the Vail Sucks thread. ;)

Zand

Honestly I'm kind of pissed that they switched up the mogul build schedule seemingly out of nowhere. They originally said the final weekend of every month, but now they did Father's Day Weekend, July 4th weekend, and Labor Day weekend and the thought of driving anywhere near the city on a holiday weekend gives me hives.

I wish they would consider doing it more often or maybe during the week sometimes, at least on some non-holiday weekends. It's only one line, they barely take up any room.

jimmywilson69

3 PM today can't wait to slide on some snow. It'll be an experience for sure.

Is this the last day of the 23-24 season or the first day of the 24-25 season???

djd66

3 PM today can't wait to slide on some snow.

Is this the last day of the 23-24 season or the first day of the 24-25 season???
I have always pondered the same thing.

I say, until there is one ski area in the Northeast that opens up for the 24-25 season, any additional days should count to the 23-24 year.

jaytrem

Enjoy!

I always considered the season ending to be when Timberline or Beartooth Basin close, which ever one is later. So my vote is 23-24.

4aprice

According to my son who skis every month of the year, the season is September - September.

I do try to get several sessions in in the fall almost in the same manor as a major sports team has preseason games. With Big Snow I'm never sure I should count them as a day or a "preseason day". Really what difference does it make anyways? Count them as you want.

Last edited:

urungus

Killington has opened October 1 at least 3 times (92-93, 93-94 and 97-98) … has any northeast ski area (other than Big Snow) ever opened in September ? What about Colorado/Utah ?

Killingtime

It's kind of cool for a minute or two. The terrain park was fun. Its basically a few turns and you are down. The snow was a little sticky when I went. Maybe its better now. The restaurant/bar that overlooks the ski area has a great beer selection and the food was surprisingly good.

jimmywilson69

had a great time. I had lots of time to kill as my wife's flight from Europe was delayed 2 hours. So I skied nearly my entire 2 hour window doing 30 runs. I thought it was cool. The snow wasn't sticky, but I did think it felt different than "outside" man made snow.

was decently busy while I was there but pretty much ski on or wait 1 for 1 chair. Only rode the chair once with another human.

I would recommend hitting it up if you are somewhat local or happen to be in the area for some reason. I certainly wouldn't travel 3 hours 1 way to ski there, but would definitely do it again if I happened to be in the area for some reason.

Parking was easy. I happened to get a spot very close to the level 2 entry way which is right next to Big Snow. Lots of weird looks as I carried my skis through the mall :LOL: