• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boarder sues other Boarder/Skier who hit him on moutain. From Colorado

MidnightJester

bdfreetuna

If I was certain whoever hit me was skiing recklessly, and I was injured bad enough, and this person rubbed me the wrong way... I might sue.

ScottySkis

I bet this goes over 59 pages by this weekend.

If someone hurt someone else on purpose on the hill then it acceptable to sue.

skiNEwhere

They have signs on I-70 on the way to the ski resorts posting the websites for lawyers who can represent you if you get injured in an accident, specifically a ski accident.

I've super careful when merging trails or leaving my self imposed turning lane for this and other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobi

AdironRider

Burden of proof will never stand when your dealing with high rates of speed and frozen water.

No different than if you get in a wreck in your car during weather events, no fault.

Powderhound

Burden of proof will never stand when your dealing with high rates of speed and frozen water.

No different than if you get in a wreck in your car during weather events, no fault.

The laws in most States don't agree with you. One needs to act as a reasonable person would under the circumstances. If it is snowing out, a driver is under a hightened duty to drive carefully given the conditions. If they don't, they are negligent.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I bet this goes over 59 pages by this weekend.

If someone hurt someone else on purpose on the hill then it acceptable to sue.

Nah it won't. This was a snowboarder vs snowboarder case. It lacks the anger/emotions of a snowboarder vs skier case.

Kind of odd that a German national is the plaintiff. But he is a Lufthansa pilot and can't work....that would suck.

The link to the story about the woman plowing into the back of a groomer and suing the ski area and groomer manufacturer was interesting.

MidnightJester

I see so many wacky lawsuits once people get the ski/board and sue bug. They way the mountain and lift tickets "give your consent to injury or die" clauses work in most states it would give them protection while the people involved would just sue each other. I come to parked snowgun, snowcat, snowmobile, Mountain workers "that one opens up a lot". I have dodged a few mountain workers on more then one occasion. Now a collision occurs with another person while maneuvering to avoid mountain issue. They are protected we are not. Next thing coming soon Winter sport insurance. Now accepting obamacare winter insurance soon : )~

Eskimo

So, if somebody crashed into me, i can sue?? everyone is going to sue left and right if thats the case!

dlague

Nah it won't. This was a snowboarder vs snowboarder case. It lacks the anger/emotions of a snowboarder vs skier case.

Kind of odd that a German national is the plaintiff. But he is a Lufthansa pilot and can't work....that would suck.

The link to the story about the woman plowing into the back of a groomer and suing the ski area and groomer manufacturer was interesting.

And here is another - http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2013/05/09/aspen-skier-collision-generates-lawsuit/

This is a bad precedent! So go to a resort look for the guy who has the nicest vehicle, ski gear and hope that it translates to money then try to manage a collision that appears to be in your favor. File a lawsuit and voila cash!

As far as the groomer issue in the other story - well these things are huge and visible - my thoughts are that she should have proceeded with caution. In the same respect, I do not think that groomers should be on open trails! Maybe she poached a trail! In any case we were not there so..... interesting indeed!