• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Brace NY/Frissell CT,MA 12/23/06

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 12-23-06

Trails(s) Hiked: South Taconic, Frissell

Total Distance: ~5.8 – 6.2

Difficulty: Moderate, with a hard section

Conditions: FOG

Special Required Equipment: none

Trip Report:

First of all, it was warm out when I did this hike – it may have been 29 degrees and icy when I left my parents house at 5 am (and it was about that when I got back in the afternoon) but it was 53 degrees at the trailhead! I did the entire hike in a t-shirt and shorts.

This was a great hike I will admit, even with the fog. I chose the west approach as it looked far more fun than the much higher elevated east trailhead. This choice paid off nicely. I was greeted with some really nice waterfalls and cascades on the ascent. Once I got to the top of the ridge I was greeted by dwarfed hardwoods (birch the size of regular shrubbery!) and tons of ledges. This reminded me of Hoosac Ledges up in North Adams/Florida MA except much longer. This part of the hike made it all worth while!

After a while I split off onto the Frissell Trail, visited the Tri State Marker, then hit the CT high point, and ultimately Frissell Summit in MA.

The whole area was suitably different in terrain to make me very happy. I will definitely be heading back here to make a loop of the ridge and Alander mtn on a clear day :)

For more details, and pictures check out my site: http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NY/Brace061223/

PC230080_t.jpg

Bet this is nice with more ice..

Mike P.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. I should get over there again. It's been a few years since I was last over on Brace. Got back to Race this year after a three year lay-off so maybe I'll get to Brace in 2007!

montvm

The whole area was suitably different in terrain to make me very happy. I will definitely be heading back here to make a loop of the ridge and Alander mtn on a clear day :)

Hey Marc,

Nice report. I hiked Mt. Alander from at the end of October this year. Hiked it from the NY side, the trail head starts at Under Mountain Rd. You follow the trail until it intersects withthe Robert Brook Trial, follow the Robert Brook trail to the intersection of the South Taconic Trail, follow South Taconic to the loop trail, and the loop trail goes to the summit. Catch it on a clear day and you will be rewarded with spectactular views. Well worth the hike!

P.S. Santa was good to me this year, got a camel back 3 liter hydration system. :-D :-D

Mike P.

If I get there in 2007 it will likely be a weekday afternoon in late June mid-July trying to time the blueberries....

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
A group of us did this hike last spring, continuing north over Alander to Bash-Bish Falls. In fact, it was my first hike with una_dogger. :) Some folks kept going north from the falls up to, uh, I forget the name of their finish point. It was truly a beautiful area; I was surprised to have experienced such an open ridge down in that area. You definitely should get back there on a nice day for the view.