• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burton to be sold?

slatham

I hope it’s not some big non skiing (or even ski related) conglomerate that buys it. And maybe moves out of VT.

(Bloomberg) --
The owners of snowboard gear manufacturer Burton are exploring a sale that could value the family-run business at as much as $800 million, people with knowledge of the matter said.

The Burlington, Vermont-based company is working with an adviser on the potential sale, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing confidential information. The asset is attracting interest from buyout firms, the people said.

Deliberations are at an early stage and there’s no certainty they’ll result in a deal, according to the people. A representative for Burton didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Founded in 1977 by Jake Burton Carpenter, the outdoor gear maker has offices globally, including in Australia, Austria, Canada, China and Japan, its website shows.

The company is now run by chairwoman Donna Carpenter, wife of the founder who died in 2019, and Chief Executive Officer John Lacy.

2Planker

Yes it is being researched currently. Valued at approx $800M.
Unfortunately, at this point, none of the interested parties are "in the ski/snoboardi biz.

Smellytele

While I don't snowboard I have bought some of their clothes and gloves/mittens. I have had issues with their gloves/mittens. I could never get them to dry out properly and they always got stinky. even using mitten/glove dryers forget doing it in a clothes dryer.

NYDB

I've always ridden in their boots and bindings, except for my split setups.

ive never really been a fan of their boards except way back in the beginning (for me mid-late 80's) when they were the best option.

the warmest mittens I have ever purchased are their oven mitts. toasty to 20 below with no hand warmers. they get used once or twice a year.

I would expect the quality to suffer with the inevitable PE squeezing every last % . I hope I'm wrong about that.

drjeff

One of my friends, who recently started a marketing job with Burton, posted on her social media feed this evening that Burton ISN'T being sold

thebigo

Picked up a pair of gloves and coat at their store in Burlington a number of years back. Was mid summer, don't remember how much but significant discount. Coat was quality, coming apart now but hundreds of ski days, would buy another one.

Gloves were absolute trash, hands wore through in less than a season. Replaced with a pair of hestras, that still look new.

cdskier

Gloves were absolute trash, hands wore through in less than a season. Replaced with a pair of hestras, that still look new.

Yea...I had Burton gloves for a bit and was unimpressed. They wore out pretty quickly. I switched to Hestras last year and we'll see how they do.

KustyTheKlown

burton put out a pretty emphatic 'not for sale' social media post, complete with a photo of donna carpenter burton flippin' the bird and holding a NOT FOR SALE sign

2Planker

30 years ago they were ground breakers.

Now, it exists purely based on it reputation from years ago...
Much of what they make now is mediocre at best.

If you're looking for "the best" of anything, it's not Burton.
Not anymore

jimmywilson69

Pretend that there are rumors of being sold then post on social media that they aren't for sale and A FU to the man?

the_awesome

30 years ago they were ground breakers.

Now, it exists purely based on it reputation from years ago...
Much of what they make now is mediocre at best.

If you're looking for "the best" of anything, it's not Burton.
Not anymore
Good chance because one of their top board designers (created the original Custom) left in 2000 to start Rome SDS

hovercraft

Anything I have bought from Burton has been quality. Whenever I had a problem warranty took care of it promptly. In my experience it’s a quality company…