• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

College Hoops

ajl50

I have to say that generally this has been a very weird year in college hoops. Uconn is just terrible as is the big east in general. That should have been expected however given that last year they were just sick. Moreover the ACC is weak beyond UNC and the SEC besides UF isn't that impressive. Tenn can run a little and LSU still has some athletes but both of those teams are much weaker than last year.
The best conference this year might be the MVC (mo. valley Conf.) If they only get 4 tourney bids that would be a shame. Count on a MVC team to go to the elite eight.
Anyway...just watch Durant from texas and ignore the rest. He's the best freshman I have ever seen play. Unreal.

2knees

I have to say that generally this has been a very weird year in college hoops. Uconn is just terrible as is the big east in general. That should have been expected however given that last year they were just sick. Moreover the ACC is weak beyond UNC and the SEC besides UF isn't that impressive. Tenn can run a little and LSU still has some athletes but both of those teams are much weaker than last year.
The best conference this year might be the MVC (mo. valley Conf.) If they only get 4 tourney bids that would be a shame. Count on a MVC team to go to the elite eight.
Anyway...just watch Durant from texas and ignore the rest. He's the best freshman I have ever seen play. Unreal.

Durant is incredible. he and the guy from ohio state, ogden maybe, wouldve been in the nba under the old rules.

FRITOLAYGUY

ya that kid Durant is sick, ive only watched 2 texas games, that triple overtime 2 weeks ago and the other day when he had 37 and 23boards. Kinda reminds me on how dominant Carmelo was as a Fresh at cuse.

ajl50

very similar to 'melo. One major difference is that there is no McNamara to get Durant the ball. This is why Texas will not win the title. No real guard.
As for Oden...he seems like he's really bothered by his hand injury. Maybe I'm missing something but he needs more time in college to develop his game. People said that after his first year, Oden would be as good as Duncan and Ewing were after four years - Nope...oden needs to work on shooting from 15feet and in. His D is great but he gets beat off the drop step by faster centers and he takes the ball too low when he gets fed a few steps from the basket. (This negates much of his height)
Two years from now he'll be a beast and worthy of the hype.
(by the way this year's OSU team had LeBron not gone pro would be a joke.)

KevinB

Lol, I know the type you're talking about. Old CT folks seem to love the CT women - they're the G-rated version of CT basketball (no drug problems, stealing PCs, etc).

I was also at UConn in 99... went down to the Final Four... good times ;)

lol, yeah, I used to drive old people around as a college gig, nothing worse is when I thought I would talk shop with some guy, wearing a Uconn cap and then I figured out who I was dealing with.
Me: I see you are a Uconn fan, me too I go there. Oldman: yeah looks like they are going to have a good year, we are expecting big things from Paige Sauer. Me: ohhh, yeah, they look pretty good I hear ,I dont really follow them much. Oldman: what, your on campus and don't follow them? Me: yeah I follow the mens.Oldman: oh the men's , the womens game is so much insert cliches about the womans game,etc Me: oh jeez not again.

99 goodtimes indeed, I watched the Duke Final from Civ pub, and went to gampel the next day for the rally. We kicked some ass and broke some hearts:-D

Mike P.

It's because the girls play below the rim (almost all of them) just like we did, better fundamentals too.

I remember to Civic too, also JP's

It was nice watching NC men beat Duke!

2knees

It's because the girls play below the rim (almost all of them) just like we did,

speak for yourself man, i got MAD hops. i was throwing down tomahawk slams yesterday.

on my daughter's 4 foot toy hoop.

ajl50

very similar to 'melo. One major difference is that there is no McNamara to get Durant the ball. This is why Texas will not win the title. No real guard.

EDIT:
Texas got a real guard last night. Watched the Ok. St. game. Texas' guard can play a little. 19 pts 8 assist...not bad. Watch out for them in march - they can beat anybody.

( except the gators- they are very very very good and are on cruise control right now)

ajl50

Who saw Texas A&M v. UT last night? That was some sweetness.

2knees

Maryland beat Duke last night, for the second time this season. That is all.

which also demonstrates the uselessness of the top 25. yeah i know its primarily for the fans and media but duke was ranked 16th or so and maryland unranked, yet both had almost identical records and rpi's.

ajl50

regardless of the outcome of the maryland/duke game - neither of those teams could beat either A+M or UT.

Duke has no offense this year.

ajl50

Come on people...
selection sunday is like five days away....lets get excited!

2knees

Come on people...
selection sunday is like five days away....lets get excited!

i was just thinking this myself.

i was watching the mvc championship on sunday. Creighton and Southern Illinois. good basketball from a smaller conference, although its been getting more and more publicity and respect the last few years.