• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Computer question

eatskisleep

Question for someone who has experience with setting up a virtual machine. I need to reformat the C drive, but is this only formatting the C drive on the virtual machine or will it screw up my current C drive on my real PC and delete everything.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm not expert on VM, but I'd see what other commands are available (HELP) and see if you can get a directory or file listing on the c drive you're about to format.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
run the dir command on the C drive and see what you have, my guess, is that it's the VM C drive. If it's your regular computer C drive you will see full listings of files on that.

eatskisleep

Yep it is the VM's C drive... Thanks more questions soon to follow...

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
What OS are you planning to run on the VM? I'm working on a vintage setup right now. DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11. I'll probably setup a Win 98 VM as well. Gotta be able to run the legacy apps!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Grab some XP Pro if you can BushMM...
$.01

XP Pro still beats the s#!t out of Vista, on which MS Virtual PC is not officially supported. I haven't run into any issues yet, though.

Time to return to Linux, methinks. I get more and more sick of Windows every day. Things just haven't been the same since Win 98! Best GUI OS ever!

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
XP Pro still beats the s#!t out of Vista, on which MS Virtual PC is not officially supported. I haven't run into any issues yet, though.

Time to return to Linux, methinks. I get more and more sick of Windows every day. Things just haven't been the same since Win 98! Best GUI OS ever!

most of the equipment i work with is hardly supported with vista. my cuz was looking to buy a new laptop last night and told me the bumped the xp downgrade up to a 125. vista is great for a never ever user but for a power user that really needs to configure your system multiple ways it just dont work. how could they take out the ability to have multple system profiles?