• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy brawl at the Big E spills into the Colorado Ski Shop

JimG.

Staff member
We just can't have nice things like vendor fairs.

Everyone likes to say Vail sucks, the fact is people suck.

Zand

This is another reason I like skiing. You usually don't see this kind of behavior and people are generally just happy and excited (unless you're in West Dover, VT...then you might see this kind of thing).

djd66

Never heard of this event; so weird to fight at a ski show.
Not a ski show. The Big E is an annual fair. There just happened to be a ski shop that was at the fair.

drjeff

Never heard of this event; so weird to fight at a ski show.
It's the New England regional fair, runs for about 2 weeks and draws well over a million people each year. Each New England state has its own Pavillion where they promote all their state has to offer. And just like any fair, there are rides, tons of food options, concerts, and various other vendors trying to sell you whatever...

I went once when my kids were in the 8-10 yr old range, if I never go back again, fine by me.

Definitely some interesting "people watching" opportunities though! 🤣

BenedictGomez

This sounds absolutely nuts. I spent a good portion of my younger life in martial arts training, and the funny thing is............ I've never been in an actual "fight" in my entire life. Some people apparently just wander into them in the most unlikely places. LOL

NYDB

This sounds absolutely nuts. I spent a good portion of my younger life in martial arts training, and the funny thing is............ I've never been in an actual "fight" in my entire life. Some people apparently just wander into them in the most unlikely places. LOL
its a good thing. I’ve known many ‘black belts’ who have been absolutely throttled in real street fights. It’s a different animal.

KustyTheKlown

rest in peace to 2 arcteryx shells

"More than $1,500 worth of merchandise from The Colorado Ski Shop was lost due to the blood, damaged, or possibly stolen, police said."

eatskisleep

Craziest part:

According to the police report, the Stanley family is known to the West Springfield Department for causing issues, such as a staged fight, as diversions to steal from vendors at The Big E every year.

“The West Springfield Police Department has yearly interactions with the Stanley family during the entirety of The Big E. These individuals are documented causing unprovoked disturbances/fights in large crowds,” the police report reads.

Both James and Levi Stanley were charged with trespassing on The Big E grounds, earning them a one-year ban on entering the fair, the West Springfield Police Department said. If they’re found on the grounds during that time, they will be immediately arrested, the department said
.”

Cool. So now they can just go back 1 year and 1 day later and do the same BS yet again, real winning father/son combo huh?

FWIW the Big E is actually a great time especially if you like trying crazy foods. That’s the main reason to go IMO.

SkiingInABlueDream

We just can't have nice things like vendor fairs.

Everyone likes to say Vail sucks, the fact is people suck.
No, Vail still sucks.
I saw your comment before reading the article and I first thought that some angry skiers started trouble at a Vail booth at the BigE. But the actual incident makes more sense.

Last edited:

chuckstah

The Stanley family is a criminal organization, known for paving scams throughout the Northeast. Several of the group live and run scams in my area (Merrimack Valley) of NH and MA. I had them banned from my former workplace for an unsuccessful scam attempt for thousands of dollars. James Stanley is mentioned in this article.

Smellytele

The Stanley family is a criminal organization, known for paving scams throughout the Northeast. Several of the group live and run scams in my area (Merrimack Valley) of NH and MA. I had them banned from my former workplace for an unsuccessful scam attempt for thousands of dollars. James Stanley is mentioned in this article.
I grew up with some of the Stanley clan. They are Romas (gypsies). I got in a fight with one in middle school when one of them threw a lollipop into a girls hair. Well I won that fight but his older twin brothers (who were driving to school in 8th grade) came after me. Anyway worked my way out of it. Later one of the twins hit and killed his twin brother with his car at Hampton Beach and stuffed him in a garbage can. Another Stanley used to sell hubcaps on rt 28 in Derry, NH. They didn't find them on the side of the road (unless you count taking them off a car parked on the side of the road). And yes they are notorious for paving (Their Young's paving is still in business running scams).

Last edited:

chuckstah

I grew up with some of the Stanley clan. They are Romas (gypsies). I got in a fight with one in middle school when one of them threw a lollipop into a girls hair. Well I one that fight but his older twin brothers (who were driving to school in 8th grade) came after me. Anyway worked my way out of it. Later one of the twins hit and killed his twin brother with his car at Hampton Beach and stuffed him in a garbage can. Another Stanley used to sell hubcaps on rt 28 in Derry, NH. They didn't find them on the side of the road (unless you count taking them off a car parked on the side of the road). And yes they are notorious for paving (Their Young's paving is still in business running scams).
What a fucked up family. Some of them live right down the street from me (Litchfield/Hudson line) and run Stan's paving. I don't know how they get any business at this point. Some of them went to school with my ex's daughter and the stories were abundant, but not as crazy as yours.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I grew up with some of the Stanley clan. They are Romas (gypsies). I got in a fight with one in middle school when one of them threw a lollipop into a girls hair. Well I one that fight but his older twin brothers (who were driving to school in 8th grade) came after me. Anyway worked my way out of it. Later one of the twins hit and killed his twin brother with his car at Hampton Beach and stuffed him in a garbage can. Another Stanley used to sell hubcaps on rt 28 in Derry, NH. They didn't find them on the side of the road (unless you count taking them off a car parked on the side of the road). And yes they are notorious for paving (Their Young's paving is still in business running scams).
And why are they not in jail?

Yo VT Raps

4 dead and 18 more shot in Alabama

It's gonna happen either way, the question is whether or not they will be armed with military-grade firepower when they decide they are going to cause trouble.