• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy brawl at the Big E spills into the Colorado Ski Shop

JimG.

Staff member
No, Vail still sucks.
I saw your comment before reading the article and I first thought that some angry skiers started trouble at a Vail booth at the BigE. But the actual incident makes more sense.
Didn't mean to imply Vail doesn't suck.

The day Vail doesn't suck will be the day this forum dies.

jimk

Didn't want to sound politically incorrect, but when I first looked at this thread and read the link about guys starting a rumble to create a diversion for theft I thought of this angle.
I grew up with some of the Stanley clan. They are Romas (gypsies).

ctdubl07

This was the second "gypsey" event of the week....a group, using children, started a diversionary event just a few days prior and then started pick pocketing as if it was a plaza in Euro.

The Big E also sells a significant amount of liquor and when that is mixed with the class of individual that lives in the greater Springfield area, fun ensues.

By attendance, it's the 3rd largest "fair" in the US.

When you think of these big Ag fairs of old, it does have a dwindling "agricultural" showcase side to it. Sadly that, as the family farm industry has gone, is barely holding onto any presence anymore. It was what my kids always like to go see.

KustyTheKlown

This was the second "gypsey" event of the week....a group, using children, started a diversionary event just a few days prior and then started pick pocketing as if it was a plaza in Euro.

The Big E also sells a significant amount of liquor and when that is mixed with the class of individual that lives in the greater Springfield area, fun ensues.

By attendance, it's the 3rd largest "fair" in the US.

When you think of these big Ag fairs of old, it does have a dwindling "agricultural" showcase side to it. Sadly that, as the family farm industry has gone, is barely holding onto any presence anymore. It was what my kids always like to go see.

we went to the blue hill fair near ellsworth maine on our summer road trip and it was the old fashioned agricultural fair you describe

apparently this particular fair was the inspiration for charlottes web

tons of livestock and produce on display, in addition to the carnival shit

2Planker

In NH we like the Deerfield Fair.
Fryeburg Fair is HUGE but is a real hoot for people watching

kbroderick

In NH we like the Deerfield Fair.
Fryeburg Fair is HUGE but is a real hoot for people watching
Fryeburg will have metal detectors this year. Pro-carry people are bitching all over the Internet, despite it being an enforcement change, not a policy one--the Fair has banned weapons for some time, but they've done bag searches in the past rather than used metal detectors.

The comment that got me was "I'd feel better if I knew everyone was carrying."
Really? Have you been to the fair? I know plenty of people who carry, and I'm fairly confident none of them would consider it a good idea for everyone at the fair to be carrying.

We can go back to bashing Springfield now.

Terry

I live 5 mins to fryeburg fair and avoid it like the plague. I will be working right across the street clearing a house lot next week up behind the camping area. There are some local shortcuts to bypass traffic.