• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dave Matthews Band sax player LeRoi Moore dies

dmc

I'm a big fan... i take a lot of abuse about it from my Deadhead and Phishhead friends.
But you cannot deny the musicianship is some of the best! And Carter is certainly an influence for me as a drummer...

I've been seeing this band since they played Wetlands and Roseland... Lately not so much as I can't stand the "preppy" heads...

LeRoi was a KILLER horn player!!! He will be missed..

drjeff

RIP! I've spent many a night over the last close to 20 years now listening to the sweet sounds that he could get from his horn.

dmc

WTF does the future hold...??

Those guys seem pretty tight...

I wonder if they'll replace him with 2 people... that seems to be the trend...

Greg

Staff member
WTF does the future hold...??

Those guys seem pretty tight...

I wonder if they'll replace him with 2 people... that seems to be the trend...

Well, the article states that Bela Fleck saxophonist Jeff Coffin was on tour with them this summer. He seems like the obvious choice.

Grassi21

sad news. i'll have to put some dave on shortly.

I've been seeing this band since they played Wetlands and Roseland... Lately not so much as I can't stand the "preppy" heads...

my first concert ever was dmb and big head todd and the monsters at roseland. told my parents we were having car trouble and we couldn't get home until 3 am. great show.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a big fan... i take a lot of abuse about it from my Deadhead and Phishhead friends.
But you cannot deny the musicianship is some of the best! And Carter is certainly an influence for me as a drummer...

LeRoi was a KILLER horn player!!! He will be missed..

I saw them back in Albany at I forget where in the spring of 95 when they were still relatively unknown. I definitely enjoyed much of their earlier material, but haven't followed much of their new material since 2001 when I last saw them at SPAC and couldn't hear the music very well over the hoards of screaming teenage girls :lol: Being able to see and enjoy a band live is a big part of my listening choices.

That said, I still respect their talent, especially Carter and it's a sad day for the music community as LeRoi was a master of his craft.

I wonder what happened as the accident apparently happened in late June.

RIP LeRoi, hope you enjoy the great jam in the sky with all the other greats who have left us

Greg

Staff member
DMB in concert could be either very cool or a truly annoying experience. I saw them once at Giants Stadium which was great. I also saw them several times in Hartford. One time we had really close seats and that was enjoyable. A few times we had lawn and it was horrible. Teenagers getting in fist fights, passing out all over the place, filling cups with piss and throwing them in the air. It was just an excuse for many of them to just get totally trashed and in many cases violent. Never could figure out that connection to the kinda crunchy DMB music.

RIP...my old roommate in college played so much freaking Dave Mathews..it seems like musicians are always dying young...I feel like a form of torture would be to have to listen to Satallite on repeat for a week..lol..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is sad to see an early death of a talented musician. A college room mate of mine got me into DMB around 1998. Before These Crowded Streets was a staple CD for any night of partying or drinking. I haven't listened to them at all since wasting my money on Everyday (although I did purchase Busted Stuff and although better than Everyday, it only received one or two full listens). Dave Matthews concerts have both elated me into a sublime ecstasy (outdoors at Foxwoods with a full moon) and put me to sleep in my seat (literally, only concert I have ever fallen asleep during, in the Fleet Center). Been quite a few years since I have listened to any of their stuff but I had always hoped for a return to their earlier stuff. Hopefully they can keep putting out tunes with a new horn guy. Certainly a tough blow to lose someone that is so close and keep on playing.