• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deer Valley 3/6 + 3/7

drjeff

Resort Deer Valley

Dates 3/6 + 3/7

Conditions Bluebird sky with light amounts of fresh snow

Thursday the 6th started off COLD with the 7AM reported temp of 1 degree, but there wasn't a cold in the sky, the winds were light and the squalls of the previous evening dropped around an inch down at the base and 5" of light dry fluff up in Empire Canyon! So what if Deer Valley groomed 77 of 99 runs overnight, there wa still PLENTY of untounched fluff on the remaining trails and that doesn't even get into the bowls/glades! My wife and I were still getting untouched 30+ turn lines practically under the Empire Express lift at noontime in 5" of fluff! This snow also gave me more than enough of an excuse to do some sore exploring of the new glades of the new Lady Morgan Express - verdict here another hidden expert gem at Deer Valley.

My wife and I spent the afternoon skiing with our 4 year old on Bald Mtn and off the Jordanelle Gondola - a definate fun event as a parent watching her navigate some pretty steep groomers without a problem. Then, while not a skiing situation, we noticed while skiing off the Gondola, that up by the top is where SKI MAGAZINE built there "dreamhouse" and they were having an open house tour - we had to jump at the chance to walk through an 11,000+ sq.ft., 15+ million dollar house! That was a fun 30 minutes and the house was unreal. I lost count of how many plasma TV's, bathrooms with enough showerheads to massage just about every muscle in your body, bedrooms, etc, etc. Heck this place even has an indoor golf simulator!

Friday the 7th was another bluebird day, although no fresh snow overnight. Spent the day cruising all over the mountain hitting up some of my wife's and my favorites for our last day in Utah this year. Much more crowded today which provided a nice source of entertainment as alot of these extra crowds were folks with REALLY EXPENSIVE outfits/accessories to complement their rental skis for the 2 or 3 days a year they ski! Sitting trailside at lunch at a sunbaked table watching scenes that you'd typically see in the "beginner chairlift segment" of a Warren Miller Movie is quite the fun experience. All in all a great week in Utah. And I'm hoping that after this warm weather an monsoon like conditions that I landed in at the airport in Providence this afternoon, that some of the cold snowy weather I had in Utah will follow me back!