• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Demo Days 2013-14

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
This is a place to collect demo day info scattered all over az. This weekend is perhaps the biggest day of the year.

LUDLOW, Vt. – Okemo Mountain Resort will host its fifth annual Super Ski and Snowboard Demo on Saturday, Dec. 14. Representatives from major manufacturers will be set up in the Jackson Gore base area, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., with all the latest gear for skiers and riders to demo at no charge. A... Read the full review »

Related posts:

1. Okemo’s Fourth Annual Super Ski and Snowboard Demo on Dec 8th
  2. Okemo Introduces Edges Demo and Sales Center

Mount Sunapee - Demo Days ... details

Kicker Snowsports

Website
www.kickersnowsports.com
Those of you who have participated in Demo Days: What do you look for when you demo? What do you like/dislike about them? Are you usually in the market for skis or just having some fun trying out new skis and new technologies?

We will hopefully be participating in Demos this year (Mid-Atlantic region) and I'd like it to be a pleasant experience for everyone.

Bene288

Gore is having a demo day December 18th. It's also coke Wednesday. $42 tickets with a coke unopened come product.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Those of you who have participated in Demo Days: What do you look for when you demo? What do you like/dislike about them? Are you usually in the market for skis or just having some fun trying out new skis and new technologies?

We will hopefully be participating in Demos this year (Mid-Atlantic region) and I'd like it to be a pleasant experience for everyone.
Thanks for checking in.

I participate in demo days and in on-mountain for-fee performance rentals and demos.

Firstly I go to see if there is truth in advertising. Rocker, fat, midfat, shorter is better. Let's see if these technologies really matter to ME. They do for someone. For some reason I don't fit the general model/guidelines. Give me a compelling reason why I would want new skis (aside from the obvious core shots and normal wear/tear.) - This is key.

Last season I went to Stowe Toys on mountain demo center after I found it couldn't ski the day's conditions. The snow on the slopes was heavy chop and my owned skis didn't cut it; I was kicked all around and had little control. Went into the shop, put some $$ down and said, "here's my current skis, here's my problem, you know today's conditions. I was skeptical since they gave me a ski that was narrower than what I have been used to. No dice. After one run, I asked for something wider and a little longer. Bingo, that did the trick and let me navigate. It was only at that point I could begin to think about brands and models. Imagine how I would feel if I buy these untried new technology skis with a length and width he recommend go out and they feel now different than my old bangers? Now what? What am I disappointed in? The skis? The shop? You for giving me advice that disappoints?

For me, skis are like a marriage, you know it when you feel it. I have gone to so many demo and high performance rentals to be told these awesome skis are just for me. meh. Twice the price and it just felt like your average date.

Obviously conditions matter tremendously. It seems to me that those that put a lot of runs on their skis will get the most out of a demo.

I would suggest you try really hard to get people in a good size/shape ski first, maybe try a couple configurations first until they are happy. From there, fine tune the selections based on conditions, models, technologies, chick-factor (kidding here!), etc.

I don't even thing about bindings when I demo, other than that they may be on a stiff demo plate.

I hate it when a ski shop tries to slap me into a specific pair with a shape/form/length. I know, in-town, in the shop you and the customer have no choice, that's the name of the game. Then again, I'm sure you agree it's only the anal-obsessive types like me that go to this level, where I walk in knowing what I want.

It would be nice if you could advise the skier/boarder on where to ski on the mountain to get the best test. Go out the day ahead of time and ski the hill (tough job, I know ;) )

It would also be nice if the resort gave the demo-ers a break on the ticket price that day, esp. if they decide to buy something from you. Or not.

If you're a shop and you want to make a sale, give the person a card with a log of what s/he demo'd, their impressions and on the back a discount coupon, with your contact info.

Last edited:

Kicker Snowsports

Website
www.kickersnowsports.com
Thank you for that in depth view. I am an engineer and don't have much experience with customer service. I really liked your advice of helping the skier/boarder out by suggesting locations on the mountain. That personal touch and helpfulness would help out both parties. Great post.