• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dings, Chips, Scratches....oh my!

ed-drum

Nope. I have been fighting paint problems for 30 plus years and this seems to be the best way. It takes patience and elbow grease. I worked in a car repair-body shop 20 years ago and this is the way we did it. Besides having paint left over is handy, because they're will be more chips in the future. I don't use bondo on rust through spots (holes) either, it WILL fall off. I cut the rust out and weld a new piece of metal in. I have to finish my old 320i BMW rust holes this summer too. Lot of work, but permanent. Ed.

twinplanx

Crazy isn't it? I didn't believe it until I repaired it with some clear ribbon. Worked like a charm. If a piece of the topsheet peels off but not completely, you just iron back in!

Thanx Beano, I'll give it a try sounds a bit easier than the epoxy. Where may one find clear ribbon?

ed-drum

The p-tex seems like a good idea. Have to try it myself. I use black epoxy for steel on the base if it is next to the edge. P-tex doesn't stick to metal. Clear p-tex is available where they sell the black stick. I need a new pair of skis! Ed.

BeanoNYC

Thanx Beano, I'll give it a try sounds a bit easier than the epoxy. Where may one find clear ribbon?

Ed has it right. Go to any ski store's tuning section. If they sell black ptex, they'll sell clear ptex. You don't necessarily need ribbon or cord, a ptex candle will work fine as well. I know your out on the island but I forget where. SnoHaus carries ptex. Worse comes to Worse, I'll meet you for a beer one day and give you some. I have plenty here. Make sure the soldering iron is on the cool side when starting out. If it gets too hot the ptex will turn black. Turn up the heat little by little.

Edit: You can always get supplies online as well. I prefer www.tognar.com but there are others.

drjeff

I could just imagine the look on my wife's face when I go to take some of my tuning gear to the hood of her car ;)

twinplanx

Ed has it right. Go to any ski store's tuning section. If they sell black ptex, they'll sell clear ptex. You don't necessarily need ribbon or cord, a ptex candle will work fine as well. I know your out on the island but I forget where. SnoHaus carries ptex. Worse comes to Worse, I'll meet you for a beer one day and give you some. I have plenty here. Make sure the soldering iron is on the cool side when starting out. If it gets too hot the ptex will turn black. Turn up the heat little by little.

Edit: You can always get supplies online as well. I prefer www.tognar.com but there are others.

SnoHaus? Is that in the one near Port Jeff.? I've gotta get some bindings mounted anyway. I would like to spruce 'em up a bit first. I may not be the most active member of alpine zone but if you are ever out east hit me up, if I can acess the internet I always take a look at AZ. Thanx, planx wasn't there a beers cheering smilee?

Glenn

I'm getting one of these for the Jeep. Got two nasty chips on the leading edge of the hood last season.

66_1_b.JPG

BeanoNYC

SnoHaus? Is that in the one near Port Jeff.? I've gotta get some bindings mounted anyway. I would like to spruce 'em up a bit first. I may not be the most active member of alpine zone but if you are ever out east hit me up, if I can acess the internet I always take a look at AZ. Thanx, planx wasn't there a beers cheering smilee?

There's a snohaus in Hempstead and Huntington. Huntington is not too far from Port Jeff, but not around the corner. Where are you again, Twin?

twinplanx

There's a snohaus in Hempstead and Huntington. Huntington is not too far from Port Jeff, but not around the corner. Where are you again, Twin?

East Moriches, yeah not exactualy around the corner. I think the one I was talkin about is snow shed in Mt. sinai? Next time I'm in the area I'll take a look. If no luck I'll have to buy you that beer

BeanoNYC

East Moriches, yeah not exactualy around the corner. I think the one I was talkin about is snow shed in Mt. sinai? Next time I'm in the area I'll take a look. If no luck I'll have to buy you that beer

Hmmm, South Shore that far east I'm not sure. You may want to PM Dave (ALLSKIING.) He's in Mattituck and I could have sworn he told me that he frequents a shop up there. I'm guessing you work in Suffolk?

twinplanx

Hmmm, South Shore that far east I'm not sure. You may want to PM Dave (ALLSKIING.) He's in Mattituck and I could have sworn he told me that he frequents a shop up there. I'm guessing you work in Suffolk?

There was a shop just east of Riverhead, Arlines but last time I went by there it was empty w/ "for rent" signs in the windows. Was the closest shop to home/work. They where in a smaller location for years I guess the current economic situation did not support there newer larger store. I just can't bring my ski's to the big corporate box store in town. I'd rather pay more at a reputable shop up-island.